We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rough itinerary - any help appreciated!

Belfast, Ireland
Level Contributor
118 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Rough itinerary - any help appreciated!

Hey all - changed my screen name was janit0r but people kept thinking I was Janet! Lol so here goes: we are 2 friends both 28 travelling to NYC from 7th feb to the 11th not a great length of time but intend to make the very most of it! My 1st time here and my friends 2nd. So I've a rough idea of an itinerary - if there's anything you guys don't think we'll get done let me know, or things to swap around your input is most valued! Thanks to all on the forums - so many tips!!

Right we depart from Dublin at 9am on Friday the 7th and arrive at Newark airport at 11.50am providing all is running on time! We get our immigration all done at the Dublin side which is good - we're intending to grab our bags and get the NJ Transit to Penn station and walk to the hotel edison to get checked in! I presume we can pick up our 7 day unlimited ticket at this stage? Guessing we'll be checked in and bags left approx 3pm-ish and go exploring the area and grab a bite to eat! Want to make the most of this Friday and stay awake as long as possible!! So have jotted down Grand Central Terminal, NY Public Library to have a look and pass the Chrysler Building - somewhere to eat in the evening (any ideas?) juniors for cheesecake, and up the ESB at night, back to hotel for much needed snoozes!

Saturday 8th Feb: up early breakfast probably beside us in cafe edison, TOTR 1st thing, once finished head to Greenwich village (Saturday market I've heard?), Washington Square Park grab a sandwich, then maybe a bit of shopping on the way back - thinking Keens for dinner tonight. Wouldn't mind trying to get tickets for a show from the TKTS booth for this eve!

Sunday 9th February - lower manhattan day! V early start, Statue of Liberty tour @ 10am crown & Ellis's island included - so have to collect tickets at 9.30 - thinking of breakfast somewhere close by? Any suggestions? Guessing we'll be down around 2-3? So back for our 911 memorial at 3.30. On the way home have a look at the charging bull, Wall Street, ny county courthouse etc, depending on how tired etc we are would like to see the irish hunger memorial, St Paul's and century 21 - know this is a v heavy day intending to take as many small coffee/tea breaks as we can to break up the day!

Monday 10th last full day! Want to do the Roosevelt Island tram and FDR four freedoms park, had planned a night at Birdland for a few drinks and entertainment, and shopping for the daytime - wanted to keep this day as light as possible and do some wandering - no real itinerary in place just take it as we come!

Flight home from Newark at 7pm on Tuesday 11th am guessing we need to leave the city around 3pm? :( Boo!!! So up early today and get any last minute things we didn't get squeezed in! Get some food and off to the airport

Any tips or recommendations would be greatly appreciated to make the most of our trip!!!

Thanks all!

Rachel :)

Belfast, Ireland
Level Contributor
118 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rough itinerary - any help appreciated!

Bumpity bump! Any suggestions welcome!!! :)

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,353 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rough itinerary - any help appreciated!

In general, it sounds like a good plan. A couple of thoughts:

1) why not have dinner at Keens on Friday since you will be in the general area versus Sat where you will in Greenwich Village which also has charming restaurants;

2) if you want to see a Broadway show and don't want to pay in advance, you'll need to start getting in line at TKTS before 10:30 am - the earlier the better for the most choices

Belfast, Ireland
Level Contributor
118 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rough itinerary - any help appreciated!

DD had Keens down originally for Friday - yep that makes more sense!

Yeah will have to be up early at the tkts booth-might have to shift things about to try and get a bit of a bargain!

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
1,532 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rough itinerary - any help appreciated!

I'm off to NY 10th-15th Feb, your itinerary sounds good. So far all we have booked is ellis Island/statue of Liberty crown visit on 13th. Just hoping the weather is going to improve for us all.

Belfast, Ireland
Level Contributor
118 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rough itinerary - any help appreciated!

I know Aldente - here's hoping! Too early to be sure what it's going to be like in 12 days time but I doubt it's going to be much warmer than it is! Seems an average of -10 or so! And the windchill making it feel -22 ish! Am just bringing plenty of layers and have my furry snow boots on hand also! Have a couple of museums on standby if/when it is raining/v cold out! Not gonna let it stop us having a good time...! :) so excited

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
1,532 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rough itinerary - any help appreciated!

Same here, very excited. I'm going with 4 other family members, I'm going for my 50th birthday and my nephew for his 21st.

We are also hoping to catch a show, but will depend on ticket prices when we get there. Not sure how much into museums you are, but we also going to visit the tenament museum.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,304 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rough itinerary - any help appreciated!

So little time and queueing at TKTS and going to both ESB and TOTR......hmmmm...

I'd reconsider both of those things.....and maybe visit Central Park and a museum instead..or Brooklyn Bridge if the weather isn't foul.

Great to see FDR Four Freedom Park on your itinerary...what a beautiful place.

Also check closing times of the library and the Chrysler Building (you can visit the foyer for a qucik look). The audio tour of GCT is wonderful....check when te kiosk at the main level closes to be able to hire the gadget....or you can download it to your smartphone for a cheaper proce...and ofers more flexibility time wise.

If you don't go to Keen's for dinner that night there is the food hall on the lower concourse at Grand Central Terminal which has lots of options and might be quicker and less fussy than a large restaurant meal on that first night.

www.grandcentralterminal.com/info/tours

Have a wonderful holiday.

New York City
Level Contributor
53 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rough itinerary - any help appreciated!

Overall, looks like a good itinerary. My only comments and suggestions would be:

1) You can purchase advanced tickets to Top of the Rock to save a little time...but even if you don't, the lines won't be bad early in the morning on a cold Saturday in February. It's an amazing view (not as nostalgic as the Empire State Building, but better views in my opinion).

2) Your plan for Sunday is Lower Manhattan is quite ambitious! You may have to edit as the day goes on. There are very few options for breakfast near the Statue Ferry...I might suggest grabbing a bagel near your hotel before you head downtown. As for the 9/11 Memorial, keep in mind that you have to go thru airport-like security to get in, so be mindful of what you bring with you that day. You may have your own reasons for wanting to see the charging bull and/or Wall Street...but you could definitely skip the bull. It's just a little statue in the middle of Broadway...and Wall Street on a Sunday is a ghost town. Lastly, the Irish Hunger Memorial is just west of the 9/11 memorial along the Hudson River in Battery Park City. It's sort of hard to describe, but I'm not sure what it would be like to visit in February....you basically walk along a path thru what is supposed to be an Irish landscape...so it might be barren in winter?!? But it is interesting to see, I suppose.

3) I noticed that your itinerary did not include a visit to Central Park. I would suggest that on Monday, if the weather is decent, that you take a stroll through the Park. You can start at the corner of 59th and 5th...and I would walk up as far as the Bethesda Fountain (which won't be on in February) and then walk west over by the lake across the Bow Bridge. Personally, I would spend the afternoon in the park vs. the FDR Four Freedoms Park. I took my 5 year old to the FDR memorial this past summer (I'm an architect and wanted to see the place because it was designed by Louis Kahn). The tram ride is very cool...but it's quite a hike from the tram all the way down to the end of Roosevelt Island to the park. Once there...the view of Manhattan is spectacular, but overall, I gave it about a "C". I think without the trees w/ leaves, the memorial is going to be quite cold and stark.

Last tip...New York's weather is unpredictable. A few days before Christmas it was in the 60's, but for the past 2 weeks, we have had an "arctic vortex"...temps in the single digits (Fahrenheit)...snowy...cold wind, etc. It may have improved when you arrive, but just in case, bring layers. You will need gloves, a scarf and a hat...and if it snows, bring shoes that you won't mind being ruined. Our sidewalks get slushy and filthy very quickly.

Have a great trip!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,304 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rough itinerary - any help appreciated!

....another tip re clothing....wear a pair of fingerless gloves under your gloves....handy for when you take the outer pair off to look at a map, take a photo or check phone/internet/app

....we saw FDR Four Freedoms Park in Winter ...love the starkness, but it was a very sunny day and about 5 celcius...warm!!!!!

....and I saw the Irish Hunger Memorial on my day downtown too...yes it is out of the way...But I can see why people from Ireland would want to visit it. I walked from Battery Park along the Hudson River....now there's some Z rated architecture along there!!!! Then I went to the 911 Memorial......a long walk around the outside of the enormous construction site (this route was not planned, I just didn't want to walk back the way i'd come past those unattractive buildings....but it gave me a sense of the physical scale of what happened).

Belfast, Ireland
Level Contributor
118 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rough itinerary - any help appreciated!

Jenny thanks so much for the advise!!! Don't know how I could forget to put Central Park on that list!! Doh! People get 'baby brain' I'm getting NYC brain trying to remember everything unsuccessfully :-p lol. So will put Central Park on Mondays to do list. Have MoMA on my list too...but again depends how the days fare out, how much time, how tired! (Keep saying I'm not sleeping the whole time we're there lol) weather permitting etc as to what we can and can't do. The next trip over will def be much longer but time constraints meant it was only going to be a flying visit! Would love to do an extended trip like yours Jenny-you lucked out on the unseasonably warm December.

Yes I'd read your TR and the tip about the fingerless gloves - v clever! Have them purchased and ready for use

Thanks for the tips EVArcht - again re: the ESB and TOTR it's going to hinge on visibility, and trying to do them without spending loads of time in queues. I agree Sunday is v ambitious-but we'll try and get as much of it done as we can, anything that we don't get to do we may get another chance on Monday if needs be! The charging bull not overly fussed but the County court house I'd love to see - am a movie geek and know scenes from 12 Angry Men were filmed there as well as The Godfather. Sad I know. But the countdown is well and truly on 12 days to go--everything booked, money changed, documents printed...can't come quick enough :)