We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking at the Beacon Hotel NYC for our next stay but.......

Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Looking at the Beacon Hotel NYC for our next stay but.......

Hello folks....can anyone shed some light on the Beacon Hotel UWS NYC. Looking to book for 5 nights in Dec but I am concerned that I have read the odd review here and there stating sightings of cockroaches. Do so hope this is an exaggeration as otherwise its ticking all the boxes. Perfect for our party of two adults and two teenagers. Thanks

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking at the Beacon Hotel NYC for our next stay but.......

the beacon is very well regarded

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,920 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking at the Beacon Hotel NYC for our next stay but.......

Cockroaches are a common problem in NYC. Because the Beacon has suites with kitchenettes where people keep food, I'd guess it's almost impossible to avoid them. The real issue is whether the hotel has regular extermination service and I'm guessing they do. it's very well reviewed.

On a separate subject, you might want to look at the San Carlos and Best Western Hospitality hotels that have 1 bedroom suites with 2 queen beds rather than the 2 doubles at the Beacon.

Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking at the Beacon Hotel NYC for our next stay but.......

Hi nywhix....Thank you for your response. I have looked at the San Carlos and it was my NO1 choice when I was looking a couple of months ago but it has sadly increased beyond our budget. Too slow there! However I will look at the Best Westerns. Thanks again.

Ohio
Level Contributor
7,980 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking at the Beacon Hotel NYC for our next stay but.......

The Beacon is a wonderful hotel! The rooms are spacious and extremely clean and quiet. The subway is literally a 2 min. walk down the street and the neighborhood is full of wonderful shops and restaurants.

I wouldn't worry about the bug situation. Even if there were bugs, I'm sure the Beacon would be on it very quickly. Just so you know, you may very well see rats in the subways and parks. It's part of the urban experience! ;))

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking at the Beacon Hotel NYC for our next stay but.......

I'm with Rassi here:) It must have ticked off all of the boxes for a reason?;-) The Beacon is indeed perfect for a family of 4.. great residential nabe close enough.. even walking distance to midtown.. Central and Riverside Parks practically at your doorstep.. public transport as well;-) You've also got Fairway market right across the Street to fill up the fridge if you so choose with snacks, whatever.. not to mention an array of restaurant choices that keep the locals happy;-) Happy planning.. and EnJOY!

Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking at the Beacon Hotel NYC for our next stay but.......

Thank you all for your kind responses. The Beacon is most definitely still in the running along with a new Marriott hotel Courtyard Marriott Manhattan/Chelsea which draws me to its newness. I do like the location of UWS and on a recent journey on google streetview it does shine above other localities. On our last visit we stayed at the FQ which was superb but is now beyond our budget and the suites are far more expensive. May have to resort to the 'toss of a coin'

Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking at the Beacon Hotel NYC for our next stay but.......

.......and I have to say I'm not too bothered about the rats!!! Its the insect world that I don't get along too well with!

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,040 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking at the Beacon Hotel NYC for our next stay but.......

Also look at apartment style properties at Affinia.com

I'll reiterate NYWhiz's comment. Any place can have cockroaches. It's a plague in NYC. The good ones quickly resolve the problem with exterminators. Was it more than one review complaining about roaches at the Beacon? Over what period of time?

Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking at the Beacon Hotel NYC for our next stay but.......

Yes there are quite a few posts highlighting the presence of our wee friends but interestingly not always a negative review so I guess that would indicate the reaction of the hotel is of a positive one. Looking to book asap Thanks

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking at the Beacon Hotel NYC for our next stay but.......

We just stayed at the Beacon Hotel and did not find any critters, but had a real problem with all the pot smoke, especially as we had requested a non-smoking room and floor. This was the second time we have stayed at this hotel: we love the location, size of the rooms, quietness and cafe next door, but both times were blown away by the smoke that filled up the hallways and filtered into the rooms. Everyone in the elevators commented upon it. We rebooked because this time we asked for a non-smoking floor and thought that would solve this nuisance. It was better, but still an issue. We're not going back.