We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfer to The Hilton Garden Inn-Central Park South

Solihull
Level Contributor
110 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Transfer to The Hilton Garden Inn-Central Park South

Hi all,

We are arriving in JFK airport on 17th April and need to get to The Hilton Garden Inn/Central Park South Midtown West-there will be two adults and two children. I've read through the Top Questions page on transfers which was helpful.

However, I don't really understand where we pay for the Airtrain, where we get off it and how we then get onto the subway.

I'd be really grateful for opinions about whether we would be better getting the Airtrain & Subway, Shuttlebus or a Taxi and what the costs for each option is likely to be.

Thanks again, Theresa

Mentioned in this post
Hilton Garden Inn New York/Central Park South-Midtown West
Hilton Garden Inn New...
2,849 Reviews
New York City, NY
Midtown West Hotel
Midtown West Hotel
128 Reviews
New York City, NY
Subway
Subway
6 Reviews
New York City, NY
Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,257 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transfer to The Hilton Garden Inn-Central Park South

Taxi should coat 70$ all in (toll and tip). It's a fixed price from JFK to Manhattan (in yellow cabs only, DONT go with freewheelers!)

shuttlebusses could take you all over the place before stopping off at your hotel, so are generally not adviced on this forum

subway takes some studying, price depends on the age (or actually height) of your kids ... and would cost 30$ at most ...

http://new.mta.info/

with your party, even I would opt for a taxi ^_^ (or a car service, but posts on that will probably follow, I would take a cab)

Mentioned in this post
Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,257 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transfer to The Hilton Garden Inn-Central Park South

as for the Airtrain, you pay as you get off (At Jamaica), there are lots of MTA officers about to help new comers ... the route to the subway is just a matter of following signs ... not all that difficult

http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf

Edited: 26 January 2014, 22:06
Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Queens, NY
New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transfer to The Hilton Garden Inn-Central Park South

The hotel is at 237 West 54th Street so it is just steps from the E train at 7th Avenue / 53rd Street.

Fare control is handled at Jamaica station. You simply follow the well-marked signs to the JFK AirTrain (connected to the terminals). There are digital displays and audible signs telling you whether you've got a Jamaica train or a Howard Beach train. You want a Jamaica train.

There are uniformed staff to help you at Jamaica. You can actually purchase a 10-trip JFK AirTrain card for $25. so bear this in mind if you'll be returning this way. It is less expensive than paying $5.00 per person.

As you exit - after fare control - it is very well-marked down to the subway. You can start your unlimited ride MetroCard before you pass fare control for the subway. You'd take a Manhattan bound E train in the direction of World Trade Center to 7th Avenue / 53rd Street. It is all very easy.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Queens, NY
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transfer to The Hilton Garden Inn-Central Park South

You can also use a town car service like " Dial 7" for the same fixed cost as a taxi , ( $70 with tolls and tip ) Just call them from the airport once you arrive and collect your luggage . For Dial 7 call #34 from the " Ground Transportation Desk" , Tell them where you are going , how many passengers and luggage , they will give you a car number and a exact meeting place at the front of the terminal . We have used this service a few times now and never had to wait longer than 10 mins and with kids and luggage it is what I would do.

Edited: 26 January 2014, 22:19
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
153 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transfer to The Hilton Garden Inn-Central Park South

I also need to travel from JFK to the Hilton Garden Inn - Central Park South. Might I use this thread to confirm the train/subway steps and ask a question? If asking these questions in someone else's thread is discourteous to the OP, please let me know and I will make a new thread.

The hotel is at 237 West 54th Street, which is on 54th between 7th and 8th.

So from JFK I would take the Airtrain to Jamaica Station. Then from Jamaica I take the LIRR to Penn Station. At Penn Station, I then take the E train uptown and get off at 7th and 53rd?

Then to get back to JFK, I take the E train downtown to Penn Station, then take LIRR to Jamaica Station, then the Airtrain to my terminal at JFK.

Am I correct? I have taken the LIRR before to EWR and recall there is an unfamiliar setup where I purchase a ticket then watch a large board to see where to catch my train? Can someone give me a few tips on this process? When trying to get to EWR, we tried to purchase the wrong tickets, then tried to go to the wrong platform. Oops! Are the kiosks for the LIRR tickets a different color or similar to prevent me making similar errors this time?

Also, there appears to be an E line train at Jamaica station. So does it make more sense to just get on the E line into Manhattan from Jamaica station and skip the LIRR altogether? This would save me the $5-6 fee for the LIRR, right? I see online that this method is longer time-wise. How much longer on a Friday around 6 or a Monday around noon?

Thanks folks! I am very excited about my upcoming trip to NYC!!!

Mentioned in this post
Hilton Garden Inn New York/Central Park South-Midtown West
Hilton Garden Inn New...
2,849 Reviews
New York City, NY
Jamaica
Jamaica
Queens, NY
New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transfer to The Hilton Garden Inn-Central Park South

No worries. No problem.

For the Hilton Garden Inn - because it is so close to the E train, no real need to bother with the Long Island Rail Road. You won't save any time with the LIRR and it just adds an extra step and an extra cost. Yes, the LIRR is $7.00 off-peak weekdays. Why pay $7.00 when the subway goes right from the JFK AirTrain to your hotel?

At Jamaica, simply follow the signs to the NYC Subway and to the Manhattan bound E train in the direction of World Trade Center and the E train will stop at 7th Avenue / 53rd Street - right by your hotel.

Going back to JFK, simply get the Queens bound E train in the direction of Jamaica Center and get off at the 2nd to last stop - Sutphin / Archer / LIRR / JFK AirTrain. Go upstairs and get the JFK AirTrain back to the terminal.

Mentioned in this post
Long Island Rail Road
Long Island Rail Road
197 Reviews
Jamaica, NY
Jamaica
Jamaica
Queens, NY
Subway
Subway
6 Reviews
New York City, NY
The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel
The Manhattan at Times...
9,374 Reviews
New York City, NY
Queens
Queens
New York
Archer Hotel New York
Archer Hotel New York
3,396 Reviews
New York City, NY
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
153 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transfer to The Hilton Garden Inn-Central Park South

Thanks so much MoreFFmiles! Anything that makes the trip easier is an A+ in my book!!!

Solihull
Level Contributor
110 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transfer to The Hilton Garden Inn-Central Park South

Mayeem-Thank you for your information about the Taxi fare including taxes etc-it's tempting!! I guessed the shuttle bus might be a lengthy option and for the four of us that option wouldn't be that much cheaper than a taxi anyway. I'm going to have look further into the Airtrain/Subway option and weigh up the pro's and cons. Thanks again :)

Mentioned in this post
Subway
Subway
6 Reviews
New York City, NY
Solihull
Level Contributor
110 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transfer to The Hilton Garden Inn-Central Park South

ree-nyc-Thanks for the info on Dial 7-sounds like a stress free option and... no queues!

Solihull
Level Contributor
110 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transfer to The Hilton Garden Inn-Central Park South

MoreFFmiles-Thank you soooo much, your post has made the Airtrain/Subway option of travel much clearer now. The tip about the 10-trip JFK AirTrain card for $25 is great too because if we manage to get to the hotel via Airtrain/Subway then we will most certainly return that way, as we have a late evening flight. I just have a couple of queries about Airtrain/Subway travel;

1. Are there steps or escalators to get to the subway from the Airtrain and when we get to our subway stop? Escalators wouldn't be so bad with suitcases, but steps might be a problem! Is there a lift?

2. My girls are above the height limit to entitle them to travel free on the subway, does anyone know if there is a child's price for the 7 day unlimited ticket?

Once again, huge thanks to everyone for their help!

Mentioned in this post
Subway
Subway
6 Reviews
New York City, NY