We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frick collection

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
563 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Frick collection

Hi all,almost completed my itinerary for my may visit to NYC,will be spending time in central park area ( possibly 2-3 hours ) and am interested in crossing over to see the frick collection ( as much for the building as anything else ) i know there will be some lining up,according to some reviews,so would a sunday be a good time ? maybe even go there around 4ish ,will give me an hour to view the building/ collection,it does close at 5pm on sundays so im assuming the lines would be at there least at that time ? any advice/suggestions muchly appreciated cheers john

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,939 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Frick collection

The lines are gone at the moment - Do Sunday at 3 so you have a couple of hours to enjoy the peacefulness at the end of your day -- in the morning 11-1 it is pay what you wish and it will be crowded.

I was there Thursday and really enjoyed it.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
411 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Frick collection

We loved the Frick; one of the highlights of our stay in NYC. We went on a midweek day in October and didn't strike any lines. It's an exceptional building and the artwork is a bonus. I agree with ztaks - give yourself a couple of hours to be on the safe side.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,307 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Frick collection

+2 for a couple of hours. There is an interesting film they show that you may be interested in given you say you're going to visit as much for the building as the art. It's 11 minutes long and runs every 20 minutes from 10.20am (but check the concert series on the Sunday you're planning to go as the film doesn't show when there are concerts).

http://www.frick.org/visit/museum/film

New York
Level Contributor
461 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Frick collection

As others advise, one hour is simply not enough time to visit the Frick. Part of the Frick's charm is the intimacy of it -- I find it immensely peaceful there. If you hustle through it, you will rob yourself of the charisma of this jewel. Two hours can cover it nicely.

It's a Solomon-like choice: Central Park vs the Frick. I don't know what time of year you are visiting. If in Winter, then shift over to the Frick. If Spring, Summer or Fall, I'd never leave Central Park!

For anyone who's visiting the Frick, don't forget to look for the butler call buttons in the main living room. If you can take your eyes off the El Greco and Titian, look on the wood paneling at the side of the South Hall entryway door -- the call buttons to the servants are still there for all to see.

Like Downton Abbey, the Fricks pushed a button and up popped a servant!

Enjoy!

5. Re: Frick collection

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2015, 05:19