We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking at budget hotels

Ohio
Level Contributor
8,120 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Looking at budget hotels

Ramada Eastside, The Gem Hotel in Chelsea, Hudson?? Which would you choose? Or any other suggestions are welcome! Trying to stay at $1,300 or lower July 1-8 for 2 people in Manhattan.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,377 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking at budget hotels

I would wait for summer sales. Typically, there are good discounts for July, even over the 4th of July holiday. Book something that you can cancel without a fee, then watch closer to travel time. You might even consider bidding on Pricelining as travel time approaches.

Of those hotels, I would probably choose the Hudson for location, but rooms are very tiny. Standard rooms state that they have a queen or double bed. I don't know whether there is any guarantee that you can get the larger bed vs the smaller double.

When I was in my 20's, I wouldn't have cared much about the tiny room or double bed. Now, I really prefer a bit of space and a larger bed. Getting old I guess!! For myself, I'd probably go with the Gem Chelsea of these three choices. Rooms are small there too, but if you can be sure to have a queen bed, that helps.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking at budget hotels

If you are willing to stay a subway stop over the water from Manhattan then country inn and suites Long island city are offering room with breakfast cancellable for less than $1100 inc tax. Sorry haven't stayed at any of those hotels.

Ohio
Level Contributor
8,120 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking at budget hotels

Thanks everyone! We are coming with another couple who are quite a bit younger than us so I'm trying to help them find something in Manhattan. The back up plan is LIC. We're going to be at the Hotel Giraffe near Madison Square Park and thought the Gem may work for them. They're more concerned about the price than the room but I want their first trip to be as nice as possible.

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
1,345 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking at budget hotels

On those dates The Hampton Inn Manhattan-Seaport-Financial District is within the budget: AAA rate for a queen bed room with taxes totaling $1266.90 at the hotel website. Includes breakfast and wifi and some of these rooms have private terraces........no guarantee, but can be requested. This is fully cancelable up to 72 hours before day of arrival.

5. Re: Looking at budget hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2015, 06:18