We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booked flight and nowhere to stay!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
140 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Booked flight and nowhere to stay!

Hello

On a bit of an impulse, having found a nice fare to NYC, I booked tickets for my son and I for mid February and now I can't find affordable lodging!! I booked us in the Carter hotel which sounds like a dive, just to have something! Great location but horrible reviews on cleanliness.

Any recommendations for clean centrally located hotels under 150 per night or is that impossible?

We arrive on Valentine's Day and are finding a lot of places that fit the bill, full!

I am not familiar with NYC, visited as a teenager and spent a day in Brooklyn on a layover. What would be the next best neighborhood if we can't get anything in Manhattan?

Thanks much.

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,059 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booked flight and nowhere to stay!

Based on prior assessments, the very strong consensus of the Forum contributors would be: cancel the Carter immediately.

Please provide exact dates of arrival and departure.

Edited: 27 January 2014, 01:53
Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booked flight and nowhere to stay!

You need to tell us the exact dates that you are staying for, your budget per night and whether or not this includes tax and also if you have any specific requirements, such as do you need a bed each, do you need a kitchenette etc

London, Canada
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Booked flight and nowhere to stay!

many will also tell you to try Country Inn & Suites in Long Island City

Montana
Level Contributor
53 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booked flight and nowhere to stay!

We go in April and will be staying in Long Island City at the Country Inn and Suites. Both on this forum and a cruise forum (this won't be a cruise trip for us but those forums are filled with great advice) LIC is often recommended as a cheaper alternative. It is a short subway ride away from all the action. Country Inn and Suites has continental breakfast and free WIFi so a couple nice perks. We needed two rooms for 10 sleeps so price was important and with AARP or AAA (can't remember now which one I booked under) we got it for about $90 a night each room for our April stay. We booked a while ago though and the price for our days is a bit higher now. Reviews seem OK - some good and some bad.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booked flight and nowhere to stay!

Unless you are coming during Super Bowl Weekend (first weekend in Feb), February is just about the most affordable time for NYC hotels. What is your budget? Forum members can help.

DO NOT STAY AT HOTEL CARTER! I would rather sleep on the subway than stay there. Watch this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgBE1L8_WUs

Also consider whether you might be willing to stay in modest "European" style accommodations with a shared bathroom. That might also mean sharing a bed with your son (but not always). If that's an option, there are a few places in great Manhattan neighborhoods that could work for you. It really depends on what you can spend.

Edited: 27 January 2014, 02:02
Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton
Level Contributor
3,145 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booked flight and nowhere to stay!

Check the recent thread about the new Hilton Garden Inn - you may have luck with that - many others have.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k7123188…

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booked flight and nowhere to stay!

Sorry, I did a poor job of reading your post the first time around. I see you are coming President's Day weekend (which does increase prices, especially booking last minute) and did provide a budget.

It's still worthwhile providing more info, especially about your bedding needs and whether you are ok with a shared bath situation.

Are you sure that $150 is the max you can spend? Or is that a bit of wishful thinking?

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,059 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booked flight and nowhere to stay!

Subject to what you hear from other reviewers, you should consider booking the brand new Hilton Garden Inn--Central Park South quickly. You have not given us your dates, but for February 14-17, for example, you can book 2 beds through Last Minute Travel Club (complete questionnaire for free membership), for $114 per night before tax and occupancy fee.

If you are interested, you could compare this rate to the discounted rate offered through Travelzoo (if available for your dates), and the rates quoted by the hotel.

Edited: 27 January 2014, 02:25
Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,059 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booked flight and nowhere to stay!

continuing Post #8

To complete the thought, for a 3 night stay beginning February 14, the total cost would be about $508, or less than $20 per night over budget.

Edited: 27 January 2014, 02:29
Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,059 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Booked flight and nowhere to stay!

1. The total of approximately $508 including taxes and occupancy fee, and the less-than-$20 over budget figure, are correct. [The nightly rate for 2 beds (not 1 bed at the previous price) is $139.66 before tax and occupancy fee.]

2. I may have made an error, but my search on the hotel site, linked by the Travelzoo discount,

travelzoo.com/hotels/…

carries a notice that the discounted rate is not available during the particular dates of your stay.

As background, this property has probably received more Forum attention than any other NYC hotel during the past week after our Destination Expert, nywhiz, alerted us to the general Travelzoo offer.