We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ny marriage - license

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
16 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
ny marriage - license

hello; i am hoping someone can answer this as it makes no sense to me.

per the marriage website: the marriage license is only valid for 60days

so if I get married, the marriage is only valid for 2 months?

can you get permanently married in new york, and does anyone know how to do that?

their website, sucks!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ny marriage - license

No. You have to get a license before getting married. Once you have the license, you then gave to get married within 60 days. If you waited 62 days, you could not legally get married, but would need a new license.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
14,338 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: ny marriage - license

I know of no jurisdiction that offers temporary marriages...:)

This guide, while written for international visitors, may be of help to you: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k6032001…

Edited: 27 January 2014, 16:35
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
16 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ny marriage - license

oh i get it now; do both parties to the license need to apply, or can one do it, or can we apply on line?

Thank you

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,344 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ny marriage - license

You can apply online but you both still need to appear in person to pick it up. If you click onto the link provided above, there are links to the marriage bureau.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,249 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: ny marriage - license

The license is what allows you to get married. A marriage certificate is what you get AFTER you've gotten married.

The website is actually very clear: what parts are confusing you? Are you using this site:

cityclerk.nyc.gov/html/marriage/license.shtml

You might consider starting directly with the FAQ:

www.cityclerk.nyc.gov/html/marriage/faq.shtml

Edited: 27 January 2014, 16:50
6. Re: ny marriage - license

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2015, 06:19