We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfers

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Transfers

Arriving at JFK 14.25 at terminal 4.

We need to get to 230 West 54th St

Think we are going to be brave soldiers and try to get our own way there. Can someone give me very simple directions as I have never been to USA before nor been on a subway before.

I need very clear directions on what to do, where to go and how to do it please.

Can you also give me an idea of cost and travel time to do this journey.

Thank you :) x

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
13,940 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transfers

Airtrain to E train. Map with step by step directions here: http://goo.gl/maps/JBpsj (You can change time & options at left of map.)

Buy a $5/person Metrocard to exit the Airtrain + $1/ card fee. (Retain Airtrain card to refill for return Airtrain trip to avoid another card fee.)

Then pay the subway by Metrocard

Buy an Unlimited or pay-per-ride, depending on the length of your visit http://www.mta.info/metrocard/compare.htm +$1/card fee per card. (13 or more rides makes an unlimited a better value.)

Unlimited cards for 1 person only, pay-per-ride may be shared by up to 4 people. (If sharing, just swipe go through the turnstile and pass back to the next person.)

Clearly marked, assistance if needed at Airtrain exit.

Edited: 27 January 2014, 23:10
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transfers

Ok thanks. So. Get the air train (whatever that is hahaha) to Jamaica? Presume that is the name of a station? Sorry if being a bit dense here but as stated, this is all completely alien to me!!

Should cost about $5 and I pay when I get off?? Do u need change? Notes? Correct money? Thanks x

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
3,988 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transfers

The Airtrain goes from terminal to terminal in the airport, then goes to either the Jamaica station or the Howard Beach station, make sure you go to Jamaica.

You can buy the needed Metro cards described above at machines there either by cash or credit/debit card, there will be uniformed employees to assist if needed.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,354 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transfers

The Airtrain is a short elevated railroad that goes around JFK airport, and has one anti-clockwise branch that goes to a neighborhood in NYC called "Jamaica". It has another anti-clockwise branch that goes to "Howard Beach", and a clockwise branch that goes only around the Airport.

When you take the Airtrain to Jamaica, you pay $5.00 to leave the station and go somewhere else. You buy a reusable debit-type transit card at this Jamaica Exit; there is a $1 extra fee the first time you buy that plastic card, so keep adding to it as needed.

If you are staying more than 3 days and plan to use the subway and buses to go everywhere, get a 1-week pass put on your Metrocard transit debit card after you leave the Airtrain place. There are machines for adding a pass with either cash or a credit card. Or you could just add pay-per-ride money and pay per ride.

Once you have done that, you use your card to get on the Subway. Look for the signs for the "E" Train, shown in a dark blue circle. Swipe your card through the machine to get in (if you do it wrong, it tells you to try again), then get on a Manhattan-bound E train, and get off at a station called "7th Avenue", which is at W 53 St. Go out the Broadway exit, which is just a few feet west of 7th Avenue around there (Bway is a diagonal avenue). Then walk the block or so to your hotel which is on W. 54 St between Broadway and 8th Avenue.

Note: You pay to exit the Airtrain at Jamaica; you pay to enter the subway at Jamaica.

Going back: you pay to enter the subway in Manhattan; you pay to ENTER the Airtrain at Jamaica.

The station in Jamaica on the E train is called "Sutphin Blvd/JFK" so look for the JFK part when returning.

Go to website mta.info and read the info about how to use the subway. They also have a link to how to use the Airtrain.

If you go Pay-per-ride: a train trip from any station to any other (using the free transfer points shown on the map) + 1 bus ride within 90 minutes is one fare. The reverse is also true. As is 2 buses and no train. A 1-week pass is easier; nothing to think about.

Edited: 28 January 2014, 21:03
Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,354 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transfers

By the way: The 1-week pass payment NEVER can be used to get on the Airtrain. $5 in pay-per-ride money must be on it. Both cash and the pass can be on one card, since it's all stored on a smart little piece of magnetic tape.

And, except after midnight, the whole thing should take less than 55 minutes including waiting for the trains.

Edited: 28 January 2014, 21:06
Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,354 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transfers

The subway itself is $2.50 per ride; every time you add more $10 or more, you get a bonus amount put on it. The weekly pass, I believe is $30, but it may be more nowadays. Look at mta.info for the info.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transfers

Thank you SOOO much. I'm going to study this and try and figure it all out lol

Very scary stuff for someone who has never used a subway in their life and even the thought of it is sending me into a panic haha x

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transfers

Don't be afraid - there are uniformed people there to help.

The JFK AirTrain is well-marked within the terminal. As you're waiting to board the train you'll see big digital displays saying "Jamaica" or "Howard Beach" and you'll hear audible announcements both on the platform and on the train. You want a Jamaica train.

Fare control is handled at Jamaica. There are multiple staff members in uniforms - their sole job is to help and to answer questions. The uniformed police officers at Jamaica can also answer questions (just don't pet their dogs - the dogs are often fast asleep anyway - we should all have a job where we can be in a deep sleep on the job, ah, a dog's life)

It is extremely well-marked. Lots of visitors from around the world for whom English is not their first language or is not even a language they're comfortable with do this regularly. It is very well-marked and there are uniformed people very visible. Just ask if you have any questions.

There are also videos on YouTube if you want to see what it looks like. Search "JFK AirTrain" and search +"JFK AirTrain" +"Jamaica" You can practically live the experience before you ever set foot in the U.S. Very exciting

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transfers

Do u think it's worth getting off at Jamaica and getting a cab to our hotel? Or just stay on the subway?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transfers

Ok. Just youtubed the JFK to Jamaica air train. Looks like a doddle!! (I think!!)

So I get off at Jamaica then find a subway station? Presumably very easy to find? And go on the E line and get off at 7th Ave?

Am I right so far??