We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best steak restaurant for 60th birthday treat?

London
Level Contributor
72 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Best steak restaurant for 60th birthday treat?

I'd like to take my husband to a really good steak restaurant for his 60th birthday in April. I was thinking of Club A, which is TA's No.1, but then came across the weirdly-named Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. Please could I have opinions on these and/or any other suitable restaurants. Husband's favourite steak is a T-bone. We're not big drinkers so not too bothered about wine lists etc. but somewhere you can buy wine by the glass would be good. Thanks for any help you can offer.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,956 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best steak restaurant for 60th birthday treat?

There are loads of top steak lists online and discussions here on the forum. There's a new thought that some of the best steaks in NYC are not at steakhouses. Minetta Tavern is known for theirsteak. Quality Meats and Quality Italian are worth considering. Costata has a very well regarded steak for 2. Neither of the places you list are typicacly on a best of list. Peter Lugers in Brooklyn is often considered THE best. BLT Prime, BLT Steak amd the new rlington Club are worth considering too. Every restaurant in NYC serves wine by the glass.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
19,889 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best steak restaurant for 60th birthday treat?

Ruth Chris is a chain and very good. Peter Lugers is great,very much a New York experience and worth the money-which IMHO,Minetta Tavern is not.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,676 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best steak restaurant for 60th birthday treat?

Ruth's Chris is a large chain restaurant. It's quite good, but you can do a lot better in NYC.

As you look at your options, note that some restaurants will serve porterhouse steaks rather than T-bones. They are basically the same cut, but the porterhouse steak comes from the end where the tenderloin is larger, so more tenderloin is included on that side of the bone.

A number of steakhouses serve their large porterhouse carved to serve two. A few other steakhouses do that as well. If having a single serving sized T-bone or Porterhouse is important, keep that in mind as you read menus.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best steak restaurant for 60th birthday treat?

First criticism Ive read on Minetta Tavern on here

Wolfgangs, BLT Prime and BLT Steak are good options

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,281 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best steak restaurant for 60th birthday treat?

My steak-loving husband likes BLT Prime and Craft. (And I like their sides :))

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,323 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best steak restaurant for 60th birthday treat?

I love the Cote de Boeuf at Minetta with the sides of bone marrow: a steak with everything! M Wells is getting good vibes and also serves what looks like a fabulous roast chicken.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
13,702 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best steak restaurant for 60th birthday treat?

Just to clarify what has already been said. Ruth's Chris restaurant is out of New Orlean's & was originally called Chris Steak House. The place was sold to a lady named Ruth so the place became Ruth's Chris Steak House.

IMNSHO, if I'm going to a steakhouse in NYC, I'd like to go to a NYC steakhouse not a Nola transplant.

Edited: 28 January 2014, 18:21
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best steak restaurant for 60th birthday treat?

Wolfgangs is my pick.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best steak restaurant for 60th birthday treat?

I like Wolfgangs, Keen's and Old Homestead (and Perer Luger of course...)

They all serve amazing steaks, cooked to perfection. Not cheap, but a 60th birthday treat shouldn't be.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,730 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best steak restaurant for 60th birthday treat?

Definitely consider Costata for a special night out. You could share the tomahawk steak, it's huge and meant for sharing.

eatingwithziggy.com/2013/…