We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which buildings to visit? Empire State, Chrysler..

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
153 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
which buildings to visit? Empire State, Chrysler..

We are visiting NY with our three children (20, 17, 9) in August and would like a recommendation on buildings.. we are only in the city for 4 full days and then on to Cooperstown. We have a lot to see and probably time to see only one great building. Aside from going to the top of the Empire State (which I have done on a previous visit) isthere another site from which to view the skyline that the kids might enjoy? Or would they like the view from the top best?

Nyc (Upper West...
Level Contributor
6,907 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: which buildings to visit? Empire State, Chrysler..

Go to the Top of the Rock http://www.topoftherocknyc.com/

Unfortunately, one can not get past the lobby in the Chrysler building but do go into the lobby.

Sunderland, United...
Destination Expert
for Sunderland
Level Contributor
6,802 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which buildings to visit? Empire State, Chrysler..

The Top of the Rock (www.topoftherocknyc.com) is a fabulous vantage point with amazing views of the ESB and Central Park. There were 10% discount vouchers being given out at Rock Center recently. The Chrysler Building is wonderful but unfortunately you can't go to the top but you can have a quick peek in the lobby if you're sneaky ;))

Toronto
Level Contributor
596 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: which buildings to visit? Empire State, Chrysler..

I would agree for you to go to the Top of the Rock. I loved it!

The view from the Brooklyn Bridge is also pretty great. You can see all the skyscrapers, the other bridges and I think I was able to see the Statue of Liberty (or was I just imagining that) in the distance.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
153 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which buildings to visit? Empire State, Chrysler..

How many floors does the Rock have, in comparison to the Empire State Building? I am wondering if the kids would prefer the view or the height? HHHmmm....

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which buildings to visit? Empire State, Chrysler..

ESB has observatories at 86 floors and, for an extra fee, 102 floors.

I think TOTR is at approx 70 stories, but there are three levels, so you're probably pushing 75 stories at the very top.

I vote for TOTR.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: which buildings to visit? Empire State, Chrysler..

The Top of the Rock is on the 70th floor; the Empire State observatory is on the 86th floor. But the whole experience of TOTR is much better, plus you can see the Empire State Bldg.! Great daytime views of Central Park too. Don't forget to explore the lobby of 30 Rock if you're a fan of art deco, and don't miss the optical illusion on the lobby's ceiling.

Cincinnati Ohio
Level Contributor
430 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which buildings to visit? Empire State, Chrysler..

You also don't have to stand in horrendous lines and deal with cranky people working at TOTR which is definitely a plus in the August heat with kids in tow. If you go to the information booth at Rockefeller Plaza, you may be able to pick up some 10% off coupons for TOTR.

I also second the Brooklyn Bridge view of the skyline.

Have a great trip!

NYC
Level Contributor
2,227 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: which buildings to visit? Empire State, Chrysler..

And the Woolworth building downtown is still breathtaking and pretty darn spectacular.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
153 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: which buildings to visit? Empire State, Chrysler..

Thanks for the great info.. I think the TOTR is what we will do, but tell me also about the Woolworth Building.... I cannot wait to see NYC again, and it will be a first for the kids! Hairspray, Mets game, Central Park, maybe take one child to visit a local college or university, amongst other fabulous things....

4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: which buildings to visit? Empire State, Chrysler..

Avoid ESB on a hot night in August especially on a weekends. The lines are long, The building was built in 1929 the elevators are tiny the cheesy photo stop adds to the misery and the "narrow" observation deck when full really kills any chance of a "Sleepless in Seattle" or "Affair to Remember" moment.. Enjoy Cooperstown as well.