We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK to Upper East Side

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Topic
JFK to Upper East Side

I will be arriving from LAX next week, to JFK, at 8pm. What is the best way to get to my hotel in the Upper East Side, I was thinking a shuttle, but have seen very mixed reviews. I will be travelling solo, and obviously at night time.

Thanks.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8,973 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JFK to Upper East Side

If you want to go on public transport, then an idea of where on the UES would be handy...nearest intersection is probably enough.

The other option is a taxi. This is very easy from JFK, but more expensive than the public transport option. Most on the forum say it's not necessary to use a car service going from JFK if you are going the car option.

Have you seen the FAQ to Airport Transfers: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-s301/New-York-… .

Hope this is a useful start. Looking forward to hearing about where you're staying if you decide to use the public transport option with either the LIRR or the Airtrain connecting you to the subway.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: JFK to Upper East Side

Thank you for your response, I am staying on East 92nd Street. How safe is the Airtrain/subway at that time of night?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JFK to Upper East Side

it is very safe

avoid the shuttles for sure

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: JFK to Upper East Side

I have now done some research into the Airtrain, am I correct in thinking I would have to catch it to Jamaica Station, then the E train to mid-Manhattan, then the subway to E 92nd St?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JFK to Upper East Side

which hotel are you staying in?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,812 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JFK to Upper East Side

Yes, Take the E train to 51st Street station and then take a 6 train going uptown. You may get off at either 86th Street or 96th street and walk to your destination.

If you would like to make it quick, then take a LIRR to Penn Station and then take a cab to your destination.

Yerevan, Armenia
Level Contributor
15 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JFK to Upper East Side

We are going to stay in "Courtyard New York Manhattan/Upper East Side" hotel, could you please advise me on how to get to hotel from JFK?

Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
837 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: JFK to Upper East Side

We are going to stay in "Courtyard New York Manhattan/Upper East Side" hotel, could you please advise me on how to get to hotel from JFK?

Take the E train to Lexington and 53rd. From here you can get the 6 train to Lex and 86th. Then you will walk over 3 avenues (Lex to 1st) and up 5 blocks to your hotel. Map below:

http://tinyurl.com/l3qf8r2

Edited: 24 November 2014, 09:06
Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
837 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: JFK to Upper East Side

*actually six blocks from 86th to 92th.

Az
Level Contributor
241 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: JFK to Upper East Side

If you have luggage I would just take a taxi..right outside the terminal at JFK..would be the easiest way to go, especially if you are tired after a long day of traveling.