We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Of Mice and Men Broadway tickets?

Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
791 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Of Mice and Men Broadway tickets?

Trying to find affordable tickets to a popular show from an authorized seller and came across some websites that said James Franco would be starring in Of Mice and Men I think from March through July? (We'll be there in June).

I really know nothing about what is good and what is not (was looking into Motown The Musical before finding this... ruled out Wicked, Lion King, Matilda, and Book of Mormon), but would Of Mice and Men be popular, and does anyone know where you can purchase tickets? I tried Ticketmaster but no luck... perhaps it's too soon.

Did find decent Motown tickets for a good price, but no idea if this is considered a good show to most by Broadway standards... trying to surprise my mom for her birthday, any help would be appreciated (also will probably skip the discount booth option as we're short on time there).

Thank you!

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,275 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Of Mice and Men Broadway tickets?

The show starts previews at the Longacre March 19, opens April 16, and currently runs through July 27. There are seats in most sections for most performances, with fewer remaining seats in the orchestra.

https:/…

The show is a very serious drama, a classic. Motown is a musical.

Motown is very well done; if you like the Motown sound, it's exceptional (and if so you personally might like it better than other shows). If you want to see a quality "Broadway" show, it is.

Other musicals also with current discounts are Chicago, Jersey Boys, Mama Mia!, Newsies, Rock of Ages and Phantom of the Opera. (Aladdin which begins previews next month and l opens in March, is not discounted.)

If you are considering discounted tickets, you might find this article at the right under Top Questions to be useful.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-s409/New-York-…

Edited: 29 January 2014, 09:23
Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
791 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Of Mice and Men Broadway tickets?

Thank you for the reply, is telecharge similar to ticketmaster for purchasing tickets? I'll admit, I was checking out Of Mice and Men mainly because James Franco is in it...

Would Motown be something that we should wait to try and buy discounted tickets for? We are not going until June, so I'm not sure when a good time to try and get these at a discount would be. I'd prefer to pre-purchase them as we wanted to give them to our mom on the plane to surprise her on the way down.

Those musicals all sound good - I didn't realize they'd be ones people could buy at a discount (all I knew was that Wicked, Lion King, Matilda, and The Book of Mormon would not be).

Appreciate your help!

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
14,718 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Of Mice and Men Broadway tickets?

There are 3 sites that if you put yourself on their e-mail lists or join their free clubs, you will get offers of discounts. The 3 sites are Playbill, TheaterMania & Broadway box. You will get lots of e-mails but typically, when a show has not yet opened, they will offer discounted tickets until opening night. Especially if you are willing to plan your trip around the discounts, you might find that you can get tickets for this show on the cheap. I can't tell you when the discounts will be offered but if you get on these lists, you will be the 1st to see the discounts.

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,275 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Of Mice and Men Broadway tickets?

J: Cy's suggestion about getting on the e-mail lists is A+.

1. Telecharge is similar to Ticketmaster for purchasing tickets. (Each show is only carried by one of these services.)

2. You can buy discounted tickets for Motown now. Use broadwaybox.com (this EXACT site) or playbill .com (register free).

3. However: in Post 2, you identified June for your visit. That brings into focus a problem then for Motown discounts, and may extend in one degree or other to the other shows.

For now, the Motown discounts only extend to May 22. The reason: the earlier dates are slower, and the producers want to fill the seats. That doesn't mean there won't be discounts for this or other shows for your date (it doesn't), or that the end of discounts or ticket sale date suggests a show is closing (without more, it does not).

To help you, these are the end of discounts as PRESENTLY offered:

Chicago, thru March 30

Jersey Boys, thru March 30

Mama Mia!, thru March 9

Newsies, M-F thru March 5

Rock of Ages, thru March 30

Phantom of the Opera (very serious, not light-hearted), thru March 8

While Motown extends the farthest, that does not by itself mean it is more likely to be extended than the others.

BOTTOM LINE: Wait, and check periodically to see if any discounts are extended. Then you will know what is being discounted and may plan accordingly. If none are listed for discount, it is likely that one will be at the TKTS window the day of performance. If so, go at least 1 hour before the window opens, and bring your list, prioritizied. If none are discounted there, move over a window and buy at full price what you like; you do not have to go to the box office.

Have great time! If you have further questions, please post them.

Edited: 29 January 2014, 16:13
Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
791 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Of Mice and Men Broadway tickets?

Thank you both for the suggestions... considering buying tickets to Of Mice and Men in advance (front row center balcony are available for about $60 incl. service charge which seems reasonable). Hopefully the view from there at the Longacre is not too bad.

We were only going to do one show (there for 3 nights arriving Friday around noon, home Monday morning)... but maybe a musical one night, and a play another would not be a bad way to spend our nights in NYC. Or perhaps a matinee one afternoon...

I'm going to consider these Of Mice and Men tickets, and then will definitely sign up for the sites you posted above to keep an eye out for discounted Motown tickets.

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,275 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Of Mice and Men Broadway tickets?

J: Thank you for your gracious note to both Cy and myself.

The idea of one play and one musical is SUPERB.

For a play, I would recommend ONCE--a charming, touching, intimate view of characters in a bar and how they make their creative and emotional way. It won the Tony Award for Best Play. It's for adults. At the end, I was on the verge of tears--good tears.

PS. Now you're an expert--I'll leave it to you, as practice, to check the discount situation.

Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
791 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Of Mice and Men Broadway tickets?

Great, I will check that out, thank you! :)

Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
791 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Of Mice and Men Broadway tickets?

Would "Once" also be purchased through Telecharge?

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,275 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Of Mice and Men Broadway tickets?

J: Try this: www.broadwaybox.com/shows/?category=broadway , then click "Once". (But for now, it's only good until March 9.)

Edited: 29 January 2014, 17:14
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
14,718 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Of Mice and Men Broadway tickets?

Once should be on discount. I'd check here for a list of the various discounters & see who has the best prices. Here's an article with a list of discounters

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c1146/New-York…

There may not be on discount as discounts are usually posted about a month ahead. However, this is another show where you might want to get on the e-mails/free clubs.

Edited: 29 January 2014, 18:19