We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How early do I need to get to JFK for a Paris flight?

Lake Forest...
4 posts
Save Topic
How early do I need to get to JFK for a Paris flight?

Am a novice. I'm going on a trip leaving JFK-CDG departing at 600pm on a Mon. I have to fly from LAX-JFK on the same day with few departure options leaving LAX at o'dark o'clock. Trying to pick the best price & there are only 2 flights available: one arriving JFK at 229p & the other at 312p. Question: the better price is on the flight arriving JFK at 312pm but is that too late? Should I choose the earlier flight out of LAX to be sure I arrive at JFK in sufficient time to catch my subsequent intl flight? Thanx for your help...

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
241 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How early do I need to get to JFK for a Paris flight?

If you are booking separate tickets ie, you already have your jfk paris ticket and now your just booking a lax-jfk then i would leave as much time as possible, if the first flight is delayed you may miss your second flight, and may then incur charges to rebook.

Edited: 29 January 2014, 07:30
Lake Forest...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How early do I need to get to JFK for a Paris flight?

Thx welltravelled86_10: I am going on a group trip out of JFK and have already paid in full. Of course I'm nervous because if I don't get there in time for the intl departure I pretty much forfeit all the land/air money I paid. Yes, they are separate booking: I'm on group air with the trip participants but on my own for the domestic portion. Thank you very much for your advice.

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How early do I need to get to JFK for a Paris flight?

I agree. The works of air travel today is not as dependable as one would hope. Weather, congestion, equipment problems are can cause delays and if you have already paid for the Paris leg, then I'd spend the money and get there as soon as you can.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,966 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How early do I need to get to JFK for a Paris flight?

Definitely go on the earlier flight. You are going to have to reclaim your luggage and maybe change terminals. If a flight is delayed--every minute counts! Which airline are you flying LAX to JFK that shows only two flights. There are so many choices it would seem to me that you could find something that gets in at 1-1:30!

Lake Forest...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How early do I need to get to JFK for a Paris flight?

Hello RDGlady - I only mention 2 flights from LAX as they are the only 2 that can possibly get me to JFK in time. United leaves at 606am arr JFK at 229p & Delta leaves at 645a arr JFK at 312p. Because of the time difference I have to leave here the 1st, or 2nd, available flight. I really don't want to leave here the nite before because I don't have the funds or desire to stay in a hotel, so I'm leaving LAX on the 1st available flight. If I have missed an earlier flight please let me know, but 606am is the earliest I could find. I will pack lite & have only a carry-on, no checked luggage. I am travelling alone, until I meet up with the group I have booked with, none of whom I have ever met. This is an "adventures for singles" trip that I've taken a chance on & hoping it meets up to my expectations. Please advise your best advice as I am thinking, to be cautious, perhaps I should arrive the night before or take a connection which would get me to JFK earlier. Currently, the 2 flights I previously mentioned are non-stop LAX-JFK. I sincerely appreciate your advice...Diane

Lake Forest...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How early do I need to get to JFK for a Paris flight?

Thank you, Frank3. I'm getting more mixed up by the minute, but I do very much appreciate your advice. Thanks again for sending me a note...Diane

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How early do I need to get to JFK for a Paris flight?

Take the earlier flight.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,965 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How early do I need to get to JFK for a Paris flight?

If you fly out the night before, you'll arrive in the morning: no need for a hotel room. You need to arrive earlier than you're planning. Three hours is the absolute minimum, and given what you're risking I wouldn't be comfortable with the bare minimum.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How early do I need to get to JFK for a Paris flight?

I agree with BrooklynBridge get the night flight , which may even be cheaper than the others. That way you sleep on the plane and have a lay over at JFK or even fly in to LGA if it is cheaper as you have plenty time to transfer.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How early do I need to get to JFK for a Paris flight?

Hey Diane:-) Although 3.5 hours should work.. there are numerous things to consider .. especially if there is a flight delay coming in from LAX! You haven't mentioned 'when' you are traveling.. if it's soon.. in the Winter time here, also be aware of weather conditions that can certainly slow things down;-) Having said that, I would prefer to get in sooner as well.. just to be on the safe side;-) Best.. and EnJOY!