We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York in a day...

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
139 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
New York in a day...

Hi,

I am going to be in D.C and traveling to NY by Amtrack for one day. I will have a total of 12 hours in the city.

I did this trip last year, and if I am honest, attempted to condense wayyyy too much into such a short trip and missed out on the main thing I wanted to do-- see the Statue of Liberty up close! I couldn't find the free water taxi and couldn't afford the ferry trips...

The main plan this time round is to get the hop-on, hop- off bus tour trip, purchasing a ticket for the five loops. I's love to spend a bit longer in Chinatown and Little Italy and of course, see Lady Lib up close and perhaps go to the 9/11 Memorial Museum (I'm aware I can purchase tickets for this in March.)

I was wondering if someone could tell me-- if I arrive in Penn Station and want to get to the free water taxi, how do I go about this? Should the bus tour drop me off close by or do i get the subway to South Ferry.

Thanks in advance!

staten island
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York in a day...

I wouldn't bother with the hop on/off buses to spend more time on the neighborhoods. What you're looking for is the free Staten Island Ferry - nyc.gov/html/…staten-island-ferry.shtml

You can take the 1 train or public bus to the ferry - http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/oneline.htm

mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/manh/m006cur.pdf (I'd only take the bus on a weekend morning)

After the ferry, you can slowly work your way up back to Penn Station.

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,211 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York in a day...

I'm only familiar with the subway, but that could drop you off almost inside the waiting hall of the ferry .... but if the statue is high on your list, I would strongly recommend you book the official visit, because the statue is so beautiful up close and it really doesn't cost that much:

http://www.statuecruises.com/

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
14,751 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New York in a day...

There is no free water taxi, assume you are thinking of the (free) Staten Island Ferry. It gives you a more distant view of the SOL.

There are water taxis that will get you a bit closer view. http://www.nywatertaxi.com/

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
139 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York in a day...

Thank you for such helpful information. My navigation skills are horrific so figured that the bus tour would be the best way to see NY...

Has Ellis Island opened up again? If so, then is there a trip I can do encompassing both the Ellis Island and S of L?

Thanks again!

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,211 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York in a day...

yes, by all means, check the link I posted .... that ferry passes both the statue and Ellis Island (which is partly open now and might be completely open in March?)

If the statue holds magic for you, do visit the pedestal at least ....

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,831 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York in a day...

"...I did this trip last year, and if I am honest, attempted to condense wayyyy too much into such a short trip..."

You are about to make the SAME mistake again if you're not careful. If you have the money to take an Amtrak train to NYC and if your MAIN thing is to see the Statue of Liberty up close, BUY a ticket for the NY Water Taxi Statue of Liberty Express and do that FIRST when you arrive.

nywatertaxi.com/tours/statue-of-liberty-expr…

Circle Line now also offers this option and may be a bit cheaper since they've got a $5 off coupon.

circleline42.com/new-york-cruises/…

The hop on/off bus is a total waste of time and money. If you're doing this in winter, you'll also freeze as they're open topped buses. Even with a plastic cover, they're awful. When is this day happening (month and day of the week)? What time do you arrive and depart? Let us help you plan this properly taking into consideration time to get around and traffic.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
139 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New York in a day...

thank you so much. Really appreciate this advise. I'm arriving on a Sunday morning in April at around 10 am and will be leaving around 10pm the same evening. Being a student in the states for research, I will have about $100-150 for the trip once there. The bus ticket would cost $60 for the 5 loops, which I hope to purchase prior to arrival so this wouldn't be included in my budget. But now wondering if this is wise or not...

Will certainly take the advice about purchasing Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island tickets!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,831 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New York in a day...

Sorry to lose patience (life is very frustrating for me right now so apologies) but nowhere in thread was there ever mention mention of Ellis Island. If you intend going TO the 'Statue and visiting Ellis Island, that's a WHOLE other thing. That's very time consuming and I don't recommend it for a day trip but if that's a priority, you must buy tickets to do that that are timed and dated on a different website from any listed so far. So tell us what it is you really want to do.

onboardtours.com

is a co. that does an all day tour that would probably cover most of what you want to see. They even include a trip on a boat to see the statue but it's expensive.

…onboardtours.com/new-york-see-it-all-tour/

freetoursbyfoot.com

also has 2 overview tours. Imo, for a day trip, these are better options than the more do it yourself hop on/off tours. You will never be able to do all the loops on a hop on/off in one day. Even if you stay on the loops and never get off, I don't think it's possible.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
14,751 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: New York in a day...

SOL and Ellis Island are only accessible by advance timed ticket purchases. Official ticket seller here: http://www.statuecruises.com/

It will take up a big chunk of your day.

The HOHO buses are not a good idea, don't waste $60.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,831 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New York in a day...

Thanks to kaye topping the post (and agreeing with me) so I need read there was mention of Ellis Island. So once again, I'm sorry. ;) But going to SOL/Ellis Island can be a 3-5 hr. thing. Is that the way you'd like to spend the day? Rereading that your navigation skills are not great, I think a bus tour is a good idea, just don't think the hoho's are the way to do it. You won't have time to hop off and as I said, even if you stay on the bus, you can't do all the loops. I think you can only buy one loop (~$45 or all loops). I'd use one of the other bus tours that have a guide that stays with you. Better use of time. Another option is

realnewyorktours.com

that takes you around by subway and walking.