We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SOL Crown climb, Ellis Island, 911 walking timing

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,391 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
SOL Crown climb, Ellis Island, 911 walking timing

Is it feasible to do a SOL crown climb at 10AM (boarding time for the ferry), then see Ellis Island, then get back to Manhattan in time to be at the 911 memorial for a 3PM walking tour? If not, I can try to squeeze in the 911 memorial on a different day. We really want to do both, and it's our last day in NYC, so if we miss the walking tour we wouldn't have a chance to go back. (Of course, I wouldn't want to miss a prebooked tour with limited spaces anyway.)

I can't figure out if it's doable but tight or totally a ridiculous idea. I was expecting there to be a 4PM tour, which I think would have been fine, but those are no longer on the schedule. This would be on Sat April 5.

How long would it take to get from Penn Station to the Hilton Garden Inn Central Park South to check in and drop luggage and then to the 911 memorial? We'll probably get to Penn Station somewhere around noon (planning to book train tix today, so trying to figure this out first).

This is the biggest issue I have with our itinerary at the moment. I hate to rush things, but we only have 4 full days in NYC, so I guess we'll either have to rush or take things out.

I've searched on the forum and it seems like if we're efficient but not crazy rushed this would be doable, but I want to make sure before I decide.

Thanks for any advice.

Oops. Just noticed the "tour" disappeared from the title of the post. This computer does some random things sometimes...

Edited: 30 January 2014, 19:01
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,068 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SOL Crown climb, Ellis Island, 911 walking timing

I posted this a couple of times in the last two weeks in answer to others asking similar questions, so I'll post it here too.....with mods given you're SoL is at 10am and you need to be back for the 3pm tour....but also want to say that I don't think you need to do a walking tour at the Memorial.

I think If you book for 3pm or after for the 9/11 Memorial you should have heaps of time to enjoy the SoL (inc Crown) and Ellis Island.

Another consideration is the timetable of the ferries....it's not as if they go every 10 minutes and their schedule will affect yours.

http://www.statuecruises.com/schedule.aspx

If you decide to book the Memorial later and end up back on Manhattan earlier, there are many many things to do in that part of the City that you can do to fill in the time: African Burial Ground, Irish Hunger Museum,Trinity Church, St Paul's Chapel, Wall Street, the Bull at Bowling Green, Frauncis Tavern, a walk around Battery Park, the American History of American Indians, Skyscraper Museum. I used the Downtown Alliance map when I was there to have a very interesting day. They have a website but I found the map really handy and collected it from a tourist kiosk when I was in NYC. (I didn't know about the Alliance beforehand, it was a fortuitous find.)

AND here is Sweis's great para about the experience she and her family had about their day in that area. I hope you find it useful:

"Our reservation was at 9:00, we ended up there early but kind of wasted some time at Starbucks because I didn’t think the first boat left until 9. Turns out we could have gotten on one that left earlier. We had crown passes and we were able to go right up with your basic security delays but no lines. Kids loved the climb and the views were great. Still with us being there early, climb and minimal extra walking around it still took time, plan accordingly. We then had to wait in line to get on boat to Ellis Island. Kids weren’t looking forward to that but we got in at watched the 11:00 movie. Great background movie that last 45 mins. Both kids fell asleep so good resting point for them. We had to wait in line again for a boat and probably got back to Battery Park some time after 12. We had reserved tickets for 2:00 at 9/11 memorial so we walked around a bit to see the Wall Street area, had a very average lunch and then went to entrance. I thought I read you really couldn’t come early, well I don’t know how it would have mattered… we had reserved time and probably stood in line for hour to 1.5 hr before we got in. They boys were not happy but did as best as they could. Memorial was beautiful and we enjoyed but didn’t stay very long once inside"

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,351 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SOL Crown climb, Ellis Island, 911 walking timing

Yes, I think 5 hours is enough time between entering the line for ferry boarding and getting to 9/11 memorial. You won't have loads of extra time, but it should be ok.

NC
Level Contributor
820 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SOL Crown climb, Ellis Island, 911 walking timing

I agree--5 hours is plenty of time. You will probably find yourself back on Manhattan way before 3pm. Actually, if there is a line for the 9/11 Memorial, go ahead and get in line a little ahead of time. You have to go through security just like the airport.

london
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SOL Crown climb, Ellis Island, 911 walking timing

Hi, i have booked crown tickets fro 10am on a Friday and we planned to do this Ellis island and then back for 3pm booked tickets for 9/11. we should have plenty of time :)

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,391 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SOL Crown climb, Ellis Island, 911 walking timing

Thanks. I think we'll go for it. We'll just have to keep an eye on the time.

6. Re: SOL Crown climb, Ellis Island, 911 walking timing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2015, 05:19