We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC to Niagara falls - any info please

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
243 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
NYC to Niagara falls - any info please

I will be travelling to NYC in early October this year and I was wondering what are peoples suggestions/comments are for Niagara falls eg:

What is the best way to get to and from NYC to Niagara falls? Train, plane or bus?

Is there anything to see on the way if using road travel?

Are there any tour suggestions?

If the weather is bad and the maid in the mist is running is there anything else to do there?

ETC

Real New York Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Free Tours by Foot
Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Night Tours, Food Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - New York
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
NYC Horse Carriage Rides
Horse-Drawn Carriage Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYC to Niagara falls - any info please

Fly from NYC to Buffalo. Spend a night there(on the NY or Canadian side) and fly back. I would never drive to take the bus. It is appr 7 hours from NYC. It's a very easy trip to do on your own.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,188 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYC to Niagara falls - any info please

Plane is best. It's a very long drive/bus trip, takes the better part of a day. Not much directly en route (there's an outlet mall in upstate NY) though side trips to the Finger Lakes or Cooperstown (baseball museum) are possible. Upstate NY has small wineries too.

If you mainly want to see the Falls, fly to Buffalo and get a car.

Lots of attractions on the Canadian side. It's a spring-summer-fall type of place. In winter, I hear it's bleak. Probably poetic and full of natural beauty, but bleak, with potential for serious snow.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,188 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYC to Niagara falls - any info please

Oct may be chilly, but is probably ok for weather.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: NYC to Niagara falls - any info please

After 150 yrs the Maid of the Mist doesn't go from Canadian side any more tours are now from US side, the Canadian side boats are called Hornblower Niagara Cruises opening in April.

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NYC to Niagara falls - any info please

Fly to Buffalo for Niagara Falls. jetBlue is excellent. www.jetblue.com

Don't spend a lot of time in the town (Niagara Falls NY) - the falls are beautiful but the town is sad and depressing - not quaint and charming. You can fly up first thing in the AM and fly back that evening. Buffalo is BUF - airport code.

Amtrak has a train but it is a very long trip. You can take the train up and fly back from Buffalo to NYC.

You can also get creative and fly NYC - Buffalo and then after Buffalo / Niagara Falls you can fly Buffalo - Boston. Or you can take the train from New York to Niagara Falls, fly from Buffalo to Boston, then after visiting Boston take the scenic train ride back to New York from Boston.

You can get the lowest airfares only going one-way - you can do we really creative things with that flexibility.

Lafayette, Indiana
Level Contributor
455 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NYC to Niagara falls - any info please

Tess2ky....unless this change is just now taking place for the next season, I beg to differ because my family took a Maid of The Mist tour from the Canadian side in August 2013.

But, regardless of the boat name, the cruise was pretty cool, although it lasted only about 30 min.

7. Re: NYC to Niagara falls - any info please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2014, 16:09
staten island
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NYC to Niagara falls - any info please

I love driving through NY State to that area in October, but if your time is limited, fly.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
15,759 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NYC to Niagara falls - any info please

If you decide to drive, I'd make certain to make stops around Lancaster PA for the Amish community & in the Finger Lakes for the scenery, food & wine.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,795 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NYC to Niagara falls - any info please

Kelli K, note that Tess2ky said "opening in April". A simple web search shows that the information as posted is correct:

http://www.niagaracruises.com

-JimG