We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it neccessary to book top of the Rock tickets in advance?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Topic
Is it neccessary to book top of the Rock tickets in advance?

Hi there

we will be in NYC in Feb and would love to do top of the rock although husband is not keen as he doesnt like heights.

Should we prebook tickets for the unscheduled visit or will be wait be ok if e just arrive and buy tickets when we want to go? also is there ever a chnce that you could be refused entry due to numbers?

thanks in advance

JaneO

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
137 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,115 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
999 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,389 reviews
from US$36.00*
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,867 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it neccessary to book top of the Rock tickets in advance?

No, it's not necessary, and not recommended. Lines are generally not too long, especially in February.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it neccessary to book top of the Rock tickets in advance?

Ah thats great, thanks for the swift reply. Its one less thing to book.

Getting excited now!

thanks

JaneO

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10,052 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it neccessary to book top of the Rock tickets in advance?

If you do pre-book book tickets without a time you still need to queue to redeem your 'booking' for a time to go UP.

I remember a few months ago someone said the queue to buy tickets was shorter than the one to redeem the booking and when she got to the front of the line, her timed entry was an hour later anyway. Big waste of time! Another poster in the past day or two said she still had to line up as well with her booking (tho' she didn't say anything about the lengths of each line)

I actually booked my tickets via the machine on the day...it was sunny, I had no plans and it was really easy (including people there to check you were OK). I bought the tickets at about 12.15 and had 12.45 tickets. Easy peasy.

Have a great holiday.

London, United...
Level Contributor
471 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it neccessary to book top of the Rock tickets in advance?

Would these comments about queues and length of time also be true for August? Obviously it would be busier than February but is it a lot busier? Thanks.

Waco, Texas
Level Contributor
224 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it neccessary to book top of the Rock tickets in advance?

I've been to TOTR twice and I'm terrified of heights. There is plenty of room to back away from the edge and still get a great view. Perhaps if he saw some photos or YouTube videos he would know what to expect. It's really spectacular and I'm looking forward to going again in November.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,610 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it neccessary to book top of the Rock tickets in advance?

"I actually booked my tickets via the machine on the day"

Jenny, can you explain this a little more? Is there a self service machine in the lobby?

7. Re: Is it neccessary to book top of the Rock tickets in advance?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2015, 06:18