We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

spring break 2014 in New York City

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
spring break 2014 in New York City

Going to New York for March break 2014 with family of 4 including twins who are 17(boy and girl). What do you suggest? We will be staying in manhattan, Lexington area and would like to see a comedy act at night, a broadway play and do something very new york including some of the usual. Any suggestions would be helpful. Need a must do and see list. Also, we are vegetarian and love to eat well."

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,510 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: spring break 2014 in New York City

You requested a must do and see list.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-s409/New-York-…

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,510 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: spring break 2014 in New York City

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g60763-Activitie…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,794 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: spring break 2014 in New York City

Lexington is a long avenue traveling through a few different neighborhoods; my guess is that your hotel is in Midtown East??

Everyone in the family should be doing some research and compiling a list of must-dos. Then you can start mapping them out and grouping them together by day. Once you have a rough itinerary, feel free to post it and we can help you with further suggestions.

Here's a recommended site for discounted Broadway tickets:

http://www.broadwaybox.com/

I'm a vegetarian and I have no problem eating at 97% of NYC restaurants. You'll have many, many options in all price ranges. Are you looking for suggestions for a special meal? For a meal is a certain part of town?

One place I'll recommend is ABC Kitchen. It's a very popular Jean-George Vongerichten restaurant but it isn't over the top expensive. Farm-to-table food, very vegetarian-friendly. But you'll need to make your reservation a month in advance:

https://www.abchome.com/abc-kitchen/

Have fun!

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
15,727 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: spring break 2014 in New York City

Here is a useful one stop shopping web site for what is playing both on Broadway & at the comedy clubs. Just click on the calendar on the upper right & put in the date you're interested in.

http://www.newyorkcitytheatre.com/

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,757 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: spring break 2014 in New York City

I'd suggest getting a guide book and let the 17 year olds pick some things they are excited about doing. It will get them excited about the trip and make them feel more involved in the decisions (and perhaps less critical of them!)

For Broadway shows, think about which ones you want to see. Some are never discounted and some are. For the most popular shows, you'll want to book tickets well in advance. Yes, you'll pay full price. For a list of shows that are frequently discounted, broadwaybox.com is a good site.

As others mentioned, Lexington Ave runs nearly the entire length of Manhattan, so that's not a good way to describe where you are staying.

For a very nice restaurant with a good vegetarian menu, check out Scarpetta. It's not a vegetarian restaurant, but they do have a separate vegetarian menu. scottconant.com/restaurants/…vegetariano

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: spring break 2014 in New York City

Thank you. We have looked at this list. It's pretty overwhelming and now we need to sit down and choose the top picks.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: spring break 2014 in New York City

Great ideas! We are staying at Baba and Bean Lodges, Address: 1598 Lexington Avenue ,

New York, NY 10029. USA

(Between 101 & 102 street) I was reluctant to order tickets for a broadway play, thinking that they would not arrive in time. Would you recommend another way so that we could simply pick them up in New York?

New York
Level Contributor
626 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: spring break 2014 in New York City

for vegetarian, i like Hangawi.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: spring break 2014 in New York City

what play are you thinking of?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,794 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: spring break 2014 in New York City

natshats, your accommodation is in East Harlem. I personally don't feel it's a super convenient location, especially for first-time NYC visitors.