We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 Week Stay - Accommodation and is a week too long?

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,829 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
1 Week Stay - Accommodation and is a week too long?

We have just booked flights to NY (JFK) for the first week in April for a week. I am madly trying to read everything and the tight budget article is really good and I guess firstly I need to find somewhere to stay. We would like a central location, near the tourist sites but anything remotely reasonable either has terrible reviews and I've read to avoid Airbnb although we have used them successfully in Australia.

So far, I've seen the Pod which seems to be within budget at around $165 a night. Can anyone suggest any alternatives and which 'pod' is in the better location? Also, is a week too long in NY, we have only ever been to Philly and Vegas. Would we be better spending some time elsewhere, any nice day trips?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 Week Stay - Accommodation and is a week too long?

A week is the very least amount of time to spend in the city. Between all the museums, attractions and neighbourhoods to visit, you will not fit it all in anyway..

If you want hotel recs, please provide exact dates and budget in USD per night.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,968 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 Week Stay - Accommodation and is a week too long?

NYC is ridiculously large. Even if you feel like you've hit the main tourist sights in Manhattan, there are four other boroughs (each the size of a major city) and day trips beyond there. A week is just barely enough time to get a feel of the place.

Do not use AirBNB, it is illegal here. And if you give your dates and budget, the folks here will have five options for you within a few hours.

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,829 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 Week Stay - Accommodation and is a week too long?

Wow, thanks for the quick reply. I am glad a week will fill our time. Well we arrive just after lunch of 31st March (JFK) and leave on 7th April early morning. We would love to get somewhere around $150 a night, but realise we may be unlikely. We are happy to have shared bathroom, but not shared dorm rooms, just a room for two.

We are happy to walk everywhere, we are fit and normally avoid trams/trains and like the idea of the walking tours on the 'budget' page. Priority is clean (I've seen some awful pictures on some of the reviews) and central location. The size of the room doesn't matter, we are use to small places. We don't mind splitting our stay and staying in different locations if it is cheaper. The prices seem to shoot up on 1st April.

Sweden
Level Contributor
1,878 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 Week Stay - Accommodation and is a week too long?

Despite liking to walk a lot - and you will be doing a great amount of walking when in NYC - using the subway is still a great idea since attractions are so spread out. Fast, reliable and cheap. Best bargain in town is a 7-day unlimited metrocard that is valid on subways and local buses.

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,829 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 Week Stay - Accommodation and is a week too long?

Thanks, I'll look into the metrocard, will it help us get from JFK? Where do you buy this from?

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 Week Stay - Accommodation and is a week too long?

Read the top questions on the right hand side, especially the ones about getting to and from the airports and about the subway and this will answer all of your questions.

You might also want to look at accommodation in Long Island City (not to be confused with Long Island), which is about a 15 min subway trip to Times Square. This is a great area for cheaper accommodation whilst still being close enough not for it to be a hassle. The Country Inn is one of the most recommended places to stay there.

Also once you start reading about everything there is to see and do in NYC you'll be wishing for a lot longer than a week.

Sweden
Level Contributor
1,878 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 Week Stay - Accommodation and is a week too long?

Here's the link to the main page for MTA - a great resource when looking into info about subway and buses in NYC:

http://new.mta.info/

Metrocards can be bought through the vending machines in the subway stations. More info about metrocards here:

http://web.mta.info/metrocard/

I have only ever arrived at Newark, so I can't comment on anything related to JFK - the locals will give you great advice about this. Here's the TA info about airport and transportation:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-s301/New-York-…

Edited: 02 February 2014, 13:56
Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,086 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 Week Stay - Accommodation and is a week too long?

Pod 39 rooms all have a private bathroom. Rooms are tony, but it is a new hotel and I really like the location. I would prefer it to Long Island City as you can walk to lots of things from it as it is in Manhattan.

Sweden
Level Contributor
1,878 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 Week Stay - Accommodation and is a week too long?

Also, I remembered this thread, The Idiot's Guide to the Subway. As a tourist, I found it immensly helpful in learning about the subway system in NYC before I arrived. Since I live in a place where public transport is too scarce for my liking and subways don't exist, it made it easier for me to understand how the NYC system works before I went to NYC. And once I was there, I realised how easy it was.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k405666-…

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,829 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 Week Stay - Accommodation and is a week too long?

Thanks for this, I will certainly look into things. I'm working my way through the NYC on a budget and have already requested a greeter, I also like the look of the free Federal Bank Tour and Central Station. You are right, I'm already filling the time!

I guess one of the things to do would also be took book the statue of liberty tour, would you recommend going to the crown?

i will look at the Country Inn, but I do like the look of the Pod 39 and their location, will see how the price compares.