We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to NYC - Overwhelmed

Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 posts
Save Topic
First time to NYC - Overwhelmed

My wife and I are celebrating our 10 year anniversary and I surprised her with a weekend trip to NYC..our first time.

So far, I've booked the flights and Hotel. We fly into LGA. Arrive Friday Feb 14 and depart Monday Feb 17. We are staying at the Kimberly Hotel (I hope that was a good choice).

I've also booked a broadway show (sat night - "Rock of Ages" - love 80's music). Outside of that, I'm stumped. I'm not much of a "romantic" and I'm completely overwhelmed with all that NYC has to offer. I only have 3 nights. My wife is very low-maintenance but I want this to be a really good trip (weather looks rough.."polar vortex..lol).

Questions:

Best way from LGA to Kimberly hotel? Taxi?

Any other suggestions? Friday night romantic dinner (not too fancy) Empire or Top of the Rock?

What else do you recommend for a quick weekend trip, so much to try and do.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Overwhelmed First Timer

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,434 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to NYC - Overwhelmed

There are some good, not too fancy, restaurant choices east of your hotel on Second and First Avenues and the streets in between them. One place I like is La Mediterranee on Second Av. at roughly 51st or 52nd street. Cozy but not fancy or over the top. An Italian place that is nice but not over the top is Nino's on Second Av. between 47 and 48. Next door Nino has a very casual place that is more pizza and family oriented.

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,434 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to NYC - Overwhelmed

In case it wasn't obvious to you, La Mediterranee is French. I forgot to mention.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,431 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to NYC - Overwhelmed

I think you've done an amazingly good job already! LGA is very convenient and the Kimberly is a terrific hotel. Make SURE you PHONE AND EMAIL the hotel that it is your 10th anniversary. If you want something specific (nice view, bigger rooms etc.) ASK. They can only say no but they'll likely say yes if they can (that's a big weekend with Vday etc.)

Best way from LGA imo is a taxi but if you want to splash out, you could also order a fancy car service like

strusserslimousineservice.com

Depending on what time you arrive, you might even ask the driver to give you a bit of a tour in the car before dropping you off. But it's also easy to just walk out of the terminal and get in the official taxi line (do NOT accept a ride from anyone who approaches you).

For dinner on Valentine's night (eek, it's late to be booking).....go to

opentable.com

and look at what's available at the time you want to eat in midtown east or east 50's. If you want specific recos, tell us what you like and what time you intend eating. Your hotel probably has a concierge who might also be able to help. The hotel has a rooftop bar with nice view for a nightcap.

Top of the Rock is much closer to you than ESB and most people prefer the experience there.

Do you want to consider an overview tour on one day?

freetoursbyfoot.com

does 2 bus tours that might be good.

You also need to book a restaurant for before or after your show (depending on when you prefer to eat). Your theater is on west 43 st. Look on opentable in the west 40's for about 6 pm if it's an 8 pm show.

Is there anything else either of you particularly like? Art? History? Ethnic food?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to NYC - Overwhelmed

I second La Mediterranee charming little French restaurant. Near (at?) Rockefeller Center I once got some chocolates at La Maison Du Chocolat that were unlike any I've had before. When we go to New York I like to Tiffany's (5th Ave) to get something for the wife, and yes you can find something at Tiffany's that's not thousands of dollars. She flips when she sees the blue bag, doesn't matter what it is.

I like to suggest the boat tours (Circle Line and others) that go around the island for first timers although in February not sure how great it'd be since it might be too cold to go on the outside deck (the boats do have interior areas that you can view tje city from but, not the same as outside). Really something to see Manhattan from the water.

If you're a Food Network nut like me you might enjoy visiting some of the restaurants featured there. Also, one of the great things about New York restaurants, in addition to the great recommendations here, is discovering your own, so spend some time on opentable.com, menupages.com etc and see if you can't find something that grabs your fancy. Don't be afraid if its not close to your hotel, taxis I think would be less than $20 to just about anywhere in the city.

Have a great trip.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to NYC - Overwhelmed

What are some things that your wife likes? Hobbies? Interests? Etc?

Edited: 02 February 2014, 19:46
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to NYC - Overwhelmed

Thank you!

Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to NYC - Overwhelmed

Thank you all for the tips/suggestions.

Nywhiz..that is a great idea calling the hotel and telling them it's my anniversary.

I'll use opentable too.

Is the CityPASS worth it? 4 days/3nights?

Thanks again! Great site! You all are so kind!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to NYC - Overwhelmed

**Is the CityPASS worth it? 4 days/3nights?**

IMO....Nope. Not unless you want to run from 1 attraction to another......

Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: First time to NYC - Overwhelmed

One last thing...how do you enjoy NYC for the first time without being a total DBag tourist and pissing off the locals? What not to do?

Thanks again!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,431 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time to NYC - Overwhelmed

Instead of the City Pass, look at buying a combo Top of the Rock/MOMA pass which are 2 of the things included. I'm not sure you want to spend time going TO the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island at this time of year on a short romantic visit. If you do, book tickets now directly on

statuecruises.com

Otherwise, consider riding the free Staten island ferry for a distant view of use one of the other cruises that will get close. Maybe you might want to do a romantic brunch or dinner with

bateauxnewyork.com

Look on

goldstar.com

to see if they have some discounts. Probably not around Valentine's day, but it's worth checking. I wouldn't do both ESB and TOTR on such a short visit. TOTR is the nicer experience.