We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biking over Brooklyn Bridge

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
141 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Biking over Brooklyn Bridge

I would like to rent a bike to cycle over BB. Can anyone recommend a good, reputable company to hire from please? How long will it take roughly to go there and back? Finally, is it an easy ride? Had major heart surgery so can't manage anything too strenuous.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Biking over Brooklyn Bridge

Apparently it's just over a mile. Was checking last nite as we are gonna walk it. Hope this helps

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Biking over Brooklyn Bridge

It's an "easy" ride if you ride.

BUT...it isn't a ride that you can just cruise and enjoy the view. Pedestrians also walk on the same pathway and some riders/pedestrians don't pay attention to the line on the pathway(one side for bikes..the other for walkers.)

People will often stray onto the bike side so you have to be aware at all times especially if you are doing this at one of the busier times.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Biking over Brooklyn Bridge

My view is that biking the bridge may be more stressful than walking it as you are dodging pedestrians and tourists taking photos. Why not get the subway over to Brooklyn and walk back?

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
14,775 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Biking over Brooklyn Bridge

There are ramps (the Bridge is also wheelchair accessible) and there is a bike lane. But be aware that tourists with cameras don't always seem to be aware of or respect the bike lane.

The bike share program is one possible source of bikes for short jaunts http://citibikenyc.com/ There are pick up and return stations on both sides of the river so you could pick up a bike, ride over, drop off the bike and wander a bit and then either pick up another bike or come back by subway. (But be aware of extra fees if you keep one bike more than a certain amount of time. http://citibikenyc.com/pricing )

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Biking over Brooklyn Bridge

We did it a couple years ago. Rented bikes from Bike and Roll in Battery Park. I don't recall it being terribly strenuous, but it was a little dicey actually getting onto the bridge. It may be we didn't follow the street signs properly, but we found ourselves kind of in the middle of traffic (not good !) at one point. We did it on our own. I think a guided ride would be better, if you can find one.

Other posters have mentioned the danger of pedestrians wandering into the bike lane, which is true. I believe the lanes are maybe five feet wide. What I found astonishing was the road cyclists trying to cross at a rather fast pace. It is congested up there, period, and no place for speed.

So, back to your question, not hugely strenuous, that I recall. But there is incline and there is some effort involved. This may be a question for your doc. I guess you have the option of walking your bike if it is too much, or of course, turning around. You should have an idea of the effort before you get to the halfway point, so if you were to turn around it would of course be downhill. ps Citibikes are great, but they are heavier than the bikes you may be accustomed to. . Good luck.

Edited: 02 February 2014, 21:26
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Biking over Brooklyn Bridge

**Why not get the subway over to Brooklyn and walk back?**

I like this suggestion.....

Whitby, Ontario
Level Contributor
156 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Biking over Brooklyn Bridge

What we're planning for our trip next June is to take the subway from Manhattan to Prospect Park in Brooklyn and then cycle on Ocean Parkway down to Coney Island and back as well as around Prospect Park (there is a thread on this if you're interested as several helpful people gave me some pointers). Seems like a nice gentle ride and we want to incorporate cycling into our trip :). Plan is then to grab the subway from Prospect Park up to DUMBO, walk around there and then back across the BB to Manhattan. Just a thought if you're looking to cycle but decide that the bridge might be a tad much! But enjoy either way :)!

8. Re: Biking over Brooklyn Bridge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2015, 06:17