We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tenement Muesum

Saint Charles...
Level Contributor
26 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Tenement Muesum

Any recommendations of which tour to do at the tenement Muesum? They all sound great, having a hard time deciding.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,087 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tenement Muesum

I think it depends on your interests. If you haven't already done so, I'd recommend reading through detailed TA reviews to read detailed comments about the various options.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,021 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tenement Muesum

Hi muklh12

At the Tenement Museum we've done the Hard Times tour and the Shop Life tour. Both were great. I would recommend the HT tour as a first tour, but not SL. It is too specific for a first tour.

I would also recommend taking some more while you're there to see the ~1/2 hour film (on continuous loop) and also spend some time in the bookstore/gift store.

The other thing we did afterwards was to visit Di Palos on Grand St (and the cake shop across the street - sorry cannot remember its name ). Both were mentioned in the film and are still there.

The Tenement Museum is just great - glad to hear you're planning to visit. You may also be interested in visiting the Eldridge Street Synagogue and the Merchant House Museum, Both are fairly close to the Tenement Museum.

Edited: 02 February 2014, 23:28
Launceston...
Level Contributor
283 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tenement Muesum

Hi muklh,

I, like Jenny loved the Tenement Museum and the 1/2 movie on a continual loop is a must see. I did the 1 hour Irish Outsiders Tour which was good but even better was my 2 hour walking tour called Then and Now and the guide was a walking encyclopedia of knowledge it was over way too soon.

The shop is amazing and it is one of those shops they you can just wander and not get bored and as they have so many interesting books and wonderful inexpensive gifts that you can only buy there.

The Tenement Museum was one of the highlights of my visit to New York.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,021 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tenement Muesum

We actually bought the DVD of that film this last visit. Might watch it tonight!

Launceston...
Level Contributor
283 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tenement Muesum

That movie is great and I was watching it before my tours but found as others arrived and were getting settled to watch it were talking and fluffing about and I wanted to shoosh them, but didn't and went back after my walking tour and watched it again which I appreciated even more a second time around and dont rush away from the area after leave time to explore.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,123 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tenement Muesum

All the tours are great. Many people will enjoy at a first visit the tour that speaks about people with whom they share a background. It is important to make advance reservations so as not to be disappointed.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,021 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tenement Muesum

Good thoughts rdglady. I thought about why I said I think Hard Times was a good option for a first tour. I think as it was more general in terms of different groups at different times and also because I had just watched the film and it flowed so well from that. The Shop Life tour focussed on German immigrants for the first hour and shop keepers at other times for the next 30 minutes. it was great too.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
40 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tenement Muesum

We did the Hard Times tour and really enjoyed it. The next time we are back in NYC, we hope to do some of the other tours as well.

9. Re: Tenement Muesum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2015, 06:18