We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

30th birthday, restaurant suggestions?

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Topic
30th birthday, restaurant suggestions?

Hi all,

First of all thank you so much for the excellent information on this forum. Everytime I think I have a question I do a quick googling on the forum and find the answer :D

We are coming to NY end of May (I know it's a long time still but I LOOOVE planning :D) and I am looking for a nice restaurant to celebrate my 30th birthday.

Maybe a restaurant in Soho as my other half wants to go and have drinks at the James hotels roof top terrace (27 Grand St) but this is not a must and we can always just hop in a cab.

A short list what we hope to get/like:

- A restaurant that takes bookings (we are 2 people). Is it by the way true that you have to call the restaurant like a few days earlier to confirm you are actually coming eventhough you have made a booking?

- A check around 200 dollars if this seems like an ok budget (Including the tip)? We can spend more if needed, I just thought you maybe want to have a some kind of rough estimation.

- We love tapas, italian and american (for me american is pizza, burgers and everything fatty and fabulous :)) and indian food to name a few. We are not big fans (by we I mean me) of the french cuisine neither the chinese. I don't eat fish so sushi is out...

- Not heavy drinkers, if the place has at least one other beer in their selections than budweiser my other half will be happy. I take the occasional wine glass but we don't want to be hungover in NY!! I realise though that the more we drink, the more I need to add to our budget.

- We will not be taking our suits and ties with us but we have no need to go to a restaurant with our matching fannypacks and champion 88 collegepants either.

- We love people stalking (uuh I want that bag, uuh check out that cute couple) so maybe a place that has a terrace/nice tables by the window?

Sorry for the rambling, who ever said the scandinavians are slow and quiet? :D

Last time we were in NY we loved the restaurants in Williamsburg, there was one little meatball restaurant in particular that was so cute, if I could just remember the name...

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,757 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 30th birthday, restaurant suggestions?

To move you up the ladder, am going to throw in a few names of Soho restaurants that come to mind: The Dutch, Costata (and its sister restaurant, Osteria Morini), Balthazar's.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,847 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 30th birthday, restaurant suggestions?

The Meatball Shop. That was probably the Williamsburg place.

You got all sorts of nice options in Soho so its not a bad area to be. WEQueen's reccos are solid and I can second every one of them. Balaboosta is another option if you are up for middle eastern

Tapas and Indian are normally not really special occasion/big budget type, but take a look at Tertulia, Cata, and Cata's sister Alta. Malai Marke for Indian

If you are a "foodie" type that would like to try different/creative dishes take a look at Ssam Bar and the bar next door. That would be my personal choice

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,388 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 30th birthday, restaurant suggestions?

For upscale 30th Birthday-worthy Indian, take a look at Tamarind. It's just south of SoHo, in TriBecCa:

tamarindrestaurantsnyc.com/tribeca/home.html

:)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,757 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 30th birthday, restaurant suggestions?

thanks, Ziggy. OP, I would also suggest you look beyond Soho to the Village (Minetta Tavern, Blue Hill, Babbo etc) or NoMad in the Flatiron, Del Posto in Chelsea and I forgot the name of the new Spanish one very close to Coliccio and Sons.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 30th birthday, restaurant suggestions?

The Dutch is what first came to mind for me, too.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,847 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 30th birthday, restaurant suggestions?

"I forgot the name of the new Spanish one very close to Coliccio and Sons"

Toro?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,757 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 30th birthday, restaurant suggestions?

thank you again, Z. That's it, Toro. IMO, Minetta Tavern is the place i'd like to be if I were celebrating 30 again.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,302 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 30th birthday, restaurant suggestions?

Ha ha WEQueen,,,we went to Minetta Tavern when I was 50 years old and a few days..and ToH was almost 53...we loved it. A big thanks to Ziggy for that idea.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,847 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 30th birthday, restaurant suggestions?

WEQ, you just reminded me that I have a Minetta gift card in my wallet. Its been there for 8 months now. Just booked it for my 30th...

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,757 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 30th birthday, restaurant suggestions?

Better use that card before it's "stale date!" Lucky you, am envious. The older we get the better Minetta Tavern (and Balthazar) treats, us. Their lighting is very complimentary to the skin.