We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to plan the best way to spend my time in NYC in March

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
9 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Trying to plan the best way to spend my time in NYC in March

Hi. I am going to NYC for the first time in March and since NYC is so big, I would like to find the most efficient way to spend my 7 days there. Below are some details of where we will be staying, when we arrive, when we leave and the attractions I want to see. If someone could help me plan the perfect itinerary, I would greatly appreciate it.

I may not be able to fit everything in so if you think any of the places listed below are not worth it, please feel free to let me know.

Thank You!!!

Arrival: 11:52 am on 12-Mar-2014 at LaGuardia

Departure: 5:00 pm on 18-Mar-2014 from LaGuardia

Accommodation: An apartment in West Village

Attractions/Places I would like to see on my trip (in no particular order):

Guggenheim

MOMA

Museum of Natural History

Central Park

St. Patrick's Cathedral

Top of the Rock

Statue of Liberty

Ellis Island

9/11 Memorial

Grand Central Terminal

The High Line

Times Square

Chinatown

Bloomingdale's, Barney's

FYI: We bought the New York CityPass.

St. Paul's Chapel
Sacred & Religious Sites, Churches & Cathedrals
St. Thomas Church
Sacred & Religious Sites, Churches & Cathedrals
Times Square Church
Churches & Cathedrals
USA
Level Contributor
13,701 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trying to plan the best way to spend my time in NYC in March

I don't see any reason you can't fit all your requests in. The West Village is one of my favorite parts of NYC, you're going to love it.

Museums may take some time, it depends on how long you plan to spend there. Check the websites as some museums have "free" periods. You'll need to book the Statue of Liberty way in advance, it sells out. Make sure you read the site, they offer access to just the island and then access to the island with entry, etc. The High Line isn't going to be very exciting that time of the year, but you can still check it out. Group some of your attractions together to maximize time. For example, TOTR, St. Patricks, 5th Ave. shopping/strolling, Empire State Building can all be done together. You didn't have the ESB, do it in addition to TOTR, they're both cool. If you had to pick one, pick the ESB. You could also fit in Grand Central with the above mentioned grouping, do the self guided audio tour they have, it's very informative and worth the few bucks. You could do Central Park and one of the museums, maybe two, in the same day. You could walk back into Times Sqaure in the evening and then talk the subway back downtown, or walk. Manhattan is very walkable and you will see so much. Chinatown is interesting and you can google some self guided walking tours with points of interest. You have a good plan, keep asking questions and plan each day out, this way you'll know what else you can fit in.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trying to plan the best way to spend my time in NYC in March

You should get a hotel as apartment rentals for less than 30 days are illegal.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,564 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trying to plan the best way to spend my time in NYC in March

Are you aware that almost all NYC vacation apartment rentals are illegal? Read question #2 in the Top Questions forum. Do a forum search. You'll find endless discussions and warnings.

Outright scams are common, as are bait-and-switch operations. Even if the person illegally renting the apartment intends to go through with the transaction, they can get caught (reported by neighbors, etc) and shut down. You could be evicted or find your deal cancelled at the last minute.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,564 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trying to plan the best way to spend my time in NYC in March

... but answering your real question. Forum members are happy to offer suggestions for itineraries, but almost always suggest that the traveler use a map (maps.google.com works well for this), try to arrange their itinerary into something that makes sense, THEN readers will make suggestions.

Forum members are rarely willing to do a whole itinerary from scratch.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,759 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trying to plan the best way to spend my time in NYC in March

My reply pretty much echoes the above posts:

1) Almost all apartment rentals in NYC are illegal and therefore risky

2) You need to map out the locations and attractions you wish to visit and then group them together into days. Post your draft itinerary and we'll be happy to help you fine-tune it and make additional suggestions

Have fun planning!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
9 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trying to plan the best way to spend my time in NYC in March

Hi all. Just to clarify. The apartment belongs to a relative who will be out of town. Thanks!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
9 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trying to plan the best way to spend my time in NYC in March

Hi all. Just to clarify. The apartment belongs to a relative who will be out of town. Thanks!

Edited: 03 February 2014, 23:29
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
9 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trying to plan the best way to spend my time in NYC in March

Thank you all for your input!!!

Edited: 03 February 2014, 23:30
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
9 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trying to plan the best way to spend my time in NYC in March

Sorry I didn't finish my message before submitting. I'm staying at a relative's apartment. He will be out of town and he's new to the city so wouldn't be of much help. Thanks.

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trying to plan the best way to spend my time in NYC in March

Oh. You're very lucky. Good for you.

8th Street Wine Cellar is excellent. A lot of popular new restaurants along West 8th Street between 5th and 6th Avenues. Greenwich Project is definitely worth checking out. The Waverly Diner on Waverly Place and 6th Avenue is a great breakfast spot (it may be cash only). Olio e Piu on Greenwich Avenue is a good spot for pasta and casual Italian cuisine. There is another wine bar down the street a few storefronts down from 8th St. Wine Cellar - the other one (name escapes me) specializes in French wines.

Mario Batali's Otto Enoteca is on East 8th Street just across Fifth Avenue - very reasonably priced (make reservations in advance on OpenTable).

Charlie Mom on 6th Avenue and 11th Street is one of my favorite Chinese restaurants. 464 Sixth Avenue.

Bennie's Burritos on Greenwich Avenue is good for San Francisco style Mexican food - not sure how people from Texas feel about San Francisco style Mexican cuisine and I'm not even sure how it differs but they make a point of saying San Francisco style.