We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Statue of Liberty Cruise and other activities in one day?

Northern California
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Topic
Statue of Liberty Cruise and other activities in one day?

I am in the process of building literary for our mid June family trip. (parents and 14 year girl)

I was going to purchase crown tickets originally but I saw recent post about crown and rethinking about it.

It involves 393 steps in enclosed area, approximately the height of a 27-story building, hmm, OK I am a little scared.

Now I am considering just buy tickets to pedestal.

I wonder if we can save good amount of time and energy if we don’t climb up to crown.

I was going to do SOL in the morning and financial district including 911 memorial in the afternoon.

Now with the time and energy saved, maybe I can add walk on Brooklyn Bridge (Sunset maybe?)?

SOL, FD and BB in one day. Is this doable itinerary?

For BB, thinking taking subway (or ferry??) to Brooklyn side and walk back to Manhattan.

I would appreciate your comments!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,729 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Statue of Liberty Cruise and other activities in one day?

Yes doable ...especially in June with longer days...but long....and maybe even more tiring if it's a warm day.

Do get tickets to the first ferry to the SoL ....you should be back after 3-4 hours. I'd recommend you do also stop at Ellis Island,

Work out where you want to be for sunset.... ~ .8.20 - 8.30pm .....and that will help work out how long you spend in the 'FD'....

I used the Downtown Alliance map when I was there and had a very interesting day. They have a website but I found the map really handy and collected it from a tourist kiosk when I was in NYC. (I didn't know about the Alliance beforehand, it was a fortuitous find.)

Once you head over to Brooklyn and stroll through the beautiful 'fruit tree' streets and get to the Promenades for THAT view....don't miss seeing Jane's Carousel....not open Tuesday's when you are there...

http://janescarousel.com/hours/

It will be a long day.....but doable.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,791 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Statue of Liberty Cruise and other activities in one day?

What you're really asking is if you don't climb to the top of the Statue, is it still worth going there. Many people feel the experience of going to Ellis Island is more moving than the visit to the Statue. But yes, you do save considerable time and energy by not climbing to the crown and if you also don't go to Ellis Island, even more time saved. It is still possible to go the SOL and Ellis Island and still have time to visit the 9/11 Memorial and walk the Brooklyn Bridge in one day in June. But if you don't go to the SOL, one option is to consider the day pass with

nywatertaxi.com

which allows you to get on and off a few times and will give you an upclose view of the Statue on the way back to midtown. Logistically I don't think it's possible to both walk the Brooklyn Bridge from Brooklyn to Manhattan and get the up close view of the statue using this method though. It's my understanding that the upclose Statue stop is on the way back from Brooklyn up to Chelsea Piers. But you can confirm that with them.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Statue of Liberty Cruise and other activities in one day?

If you are considering the financial district, I would try to do this(and it it very do-able) on a weekday. Nothing like being down by Wall St during lunchtime!

USA
Level Contributor
13,373 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Statue of Liberty Cruise and other activities in one day?

Long day, but doable for sure. Book the first cruise to the SOL and go to Ellis Island as well. I would do the crown if tickets are available, but that is up to you. I would walk everything as well, long day, but that's what's good about June days.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,729 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Statue of Liberty Cruise and other activities in one day?

Whiz, I think you're right about where the 'close up view' on the water taxi happens....on the way back from The Brooklyn stops.

In answer to the question about ferry (actually it's the water taxi) or subway to Brooklyn,... I recommend the subway...

WHY?

(1) you've already been on the boat to SoL

(2) the subway is cheaper and faster,...especially as the taxis are not as frequent and you may not get on the first one that arrives and have to wait even longer...I've heard stories of waiting for 3-4 ferries to actually get on a water taxi.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Statue of Liberty Cruise and other activities in one day?

If you really want to do the crown climb I would recommend just doing it . Yes it is tiring , but I am not the fittest person and also have serious knee problems and have done the climb twice . Just take it slowly and it is worth the effort . Going on the first boat is the best Idea and in the cooler early morning as it can be stuffy.

On a previous trip , we also wandered around the FD and then walked back from Brooklyn , yes it was long day , but we still managed a spot of shopping in Century 21 on the way back to the hotel.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Statue of Liberty Cruise and other activities in one day?

Hello,

Your post jumped out at me because I have traveled to NY many times as a teenager. After my parents divorced, my father moved to Manhattan and I spent several long weekends and breaks in the summer visiting him. I usually tried to squeeze in as many touristy things I could do in my short visits. While seeing the Statue of Liberty is important to any first time visit, I have to say that it can be a huge waste of time if you don't plan carefully.

Traveling in June means that there are going to be lots of other people traveling, and long lines for just about anything you do. The Statue of Liberty tour is an all-day event. I remember the whole thing taking something like 5 or 6 hours roundtrip, then you're exhausted afterward, sick of being in crowds of people, and you really aren't up for doing much else the rest of the day.

While I have done the whole big trip (i.e. the ferry there, the tours, the crown) I never wanted to do it again. Going up in the crown is boring, (especially if you're a 14 year old) and honestly going all the way over to the statue is sort of a waste of time. In the 12 years I have now been visiting NY I have experienced several other ways to view the Statue of Liberty.

Here is my suggestions to save time, while still getting to view the Statue in all her glory. First, the statue is best viewed from the water. If you go all the way over to the island you end up straining your neck looking straight up the entire time. I would suggest taking a cruise. Here is a link to one I have taken several times.

circleline42.com/…

This tour is great. It leaves from 42nd street, and is only an hour long. It goes right by the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. You also get some great views of lower Manhattan as well. Whenever I have visited NY with friends and other family, I always take this tour.

Additionally you could ride the Staten Island Ferry, which is a FREE ferry that departs from the east end of Battery Park. It is a commuter ferry and goes right by the Statue of Liberty. The great thing about the Staten Island Ferry is that it is in lower Manhattan, so you will be near the Brooklyn Bridge and the financial district.

If you haven't considered a hop-on/hop-off bus tour, this would be my #1 way of seeing NY. CitySights Downtown Tour is the best. Almost every time I visit NY I take this tour. It never gets old. It starts and ends in times square, and is a great way to explore the city. You just hop off the bus when you pass something that you want to explore, like Macys, SoHo, the Financial District, or South Street Sea Port, and hop back on the next bus that comes by. Be sure to sit on the upper deck so you can take some great pictures! Sorry if this was a bit rambling, but NY has so much to offer, I just don't think you should waste too much time on one event!! :)

www.citysightsny.com/tourpage.php?item=DT

Edited: 05 February 2014, 20:24
Northern California
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Statue of Liberty Cruise and other activities in one day?

OMG, thank you everyone!

I got so many wonderful replies in no time!

I need to digest your useful information first and then I will show this post to my husband and 14 year old.

My understanding is crown tickets will sell out as soon as the dates become available. (3-4 month out?)

We need to make up our mind soon :-) Thanks again!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Statue of Liberty Cruise and other activities in one day?

Oh no!!!!

(Sorry to gate crash ur thread) however can anyone confirm if we will see SOL up close on our way down from Pier 84? The map for NY water taxi made it look like we would go round it on way down. We planned to get off at BB, spend some time there then walk back over before getting the subway back uptown. Please don't tell me I need to modify. Again!! Haha

USA
Level Contributor
13,373 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Statue of Liberty Cruise and other activities in one day?

If I was going to take a cruise, I'd focus on the Circle Line one that goes completely around Manhattan. If you want to see the SOL, then book it and see it that way.