We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel time to JFK v early morning

UK
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Topic
travel time to JFK v early morning

We have two nights in New York this coming April and are trying to decide whether to spend both nights in Manhattan or if we need to spend the second night near JFK.

We need to be at JFK in time to catch an international flight that leaves at 7:15am, and don't want to miss it.

Please can someone let me know how long the journey is likely to take from Mid Town to JFK by taxi leaving around 4:30.

Thanks!

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel time to JFK v early morning

Are you flying the Virgin Atlantic flight to London?

You really don't have to worry as long as you're there by 6:00AM. The line for Security is very short in the morning. There isn't much going on in Terminal 4 that early. Virgin is pretty efficient with the check-in. A taxi will take 30 minutes but if you want to give yourself a buffer - just to be safe, be in the taxi by 5:15AM.

Staying at a hotel near JFK Airport - believe it or not - will take more time. Why? Because the hotel shuttles aren't frequent and they only take you to the JFK AirTrain Federal Circle - not to the airport terminal.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,709 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel time to JFK v early morning

From the east side, it's possible in 30 mins. but I'd still allow an hour to be safe. You should know staying at JFK, none of the hotels are actually on the airport grounds or walkable to any terminal. You still need either a hotel shuttle (many won't run at that hour) and they don't usually drop you at the terminal but rather at an AirTrain stop. If you stay at JFK, plan on taking a taxi anyway to get to the terminal. Hampton Inn JFK or Courtyard are the best. I'd probably stay in Manhattan if you think you can egt up and I'd order a car service like

Dial7.com

So you're not worrying about finding a taxi.

Edited: 05 February 2014, 20:27
UK
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: travel time to JFK v early morning

Thank you - that is very useful info. We're on our way to Antigua so will be heading to terminal 8.

So if our flight is at 7:15am, we need to be leaving Manhattan at around 4:15am earliest?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel time to JFK v early morning

Hey uknokke:-) If you grab a cab at 4:30a, giving an average of about 45 min to get to the airport, you'll be there by 5:15a.. giving you a good 2 hour time spread to go through formalities and grab a cup of coffee.. no reason to rush;-) I agree that you should arrange for a car service.. to have them there when you need them;-) Have fun..and EnJOY!

UK
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: travel time to JFK v early morning

Thank you everyone - we will aim to stay 2 nights in Manhattan. Looking forward to it!!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travel time to JFK v early morning

You're welcome ukbokke:-) Sounds like a plan;-) Keep enjoyin'!

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travel time to JFK v early morning

You don't need to be at JFK Airport two hours in advance for an American Airlines flight to the Caribbean. I'd probably allow 90 minutes to be safe (if you're unable to check-in online the night before due to having a UK passport). I know that there have been challenges before with online check-in for Caribbean flights (excluding US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico) for people with UK passports.

Otherwise American is very efficient with the check-in at Terminal 8 / 9 and two hours isn't necessary. 5:00AM in a taxi would give you plenty of time.

Lanarkshire
Destination Expert
for Quarteira, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
3,024 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travel time to JFK v early morning

Sorry to butt in here but is this the same for an AA flight to Las Vegas at 6:55am Saturday morning ? Ive asked before and was told to be there at least 2 hours. Also thinking of taking a cab from HGI Central PArk.

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: travel time to JFK v early morning

Las Vegas is a domestic / internal flight.

Antigua requires a Passport for all passengers. You should be able to check-in online for Las Vegas as it is a domestic / internal flight. In theory you should only need your positive identification to clear the TSA Security checkpoint. My partner holds a British passport and we travel frequently. The British passport causes an extra step on Caribbean flights (except Puerto Rico and the US VI) - it does not on domestic / internal flights.

10. Re: travel time to JFK v early morning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2015, 06:21