We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about traveling from Manhattan to Long Island

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
233 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
Question about traveling from Manhattan to Long Island

We will be spending a few days in Manhattan before traveling to Islip for a conference. I'm not sure where we'll be staying on Long Island, but right now I am looking at Hauppage (Hampton Inn). We'll be flying into JFK and out of Islip. Is it better to rent a car at JFK the day we depart for Long Island, or try to take public transportation to our hotel and then rent a car from our hotel, or at the station? I assume we will need a car in Long Island to get around. If we take the Long Island Railroad, can we get a taxi at the station to the Hampton Inn? And what station would work best for that? Thanks for any input.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about traveling from Manhattan to Long Island

Do you mean the one in Islandia? Which one? I don't know of a Hampton Inn specifically in Hauppauge.

Generally the way to go is to take the Long Island Rail Road and pick up the rental car in Islip / Ronkonkoma - much easier than dealing with the traffic and the expense.

Freeport, New York
Destination Expert
for Long Island
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about traveling from Manhattan to Long Island

You will need a car while on Long Island. When you say the Hampton Inn--do you mean the one in Islandia? tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g47955-d93225-R…

If that is the one you mean, you would take the LIRR (Long Island Rail Road) to the Central Islip station. There are usually taxis at the train stations.

If you are flying out of Islip, then I am going to assume you will want to return the car at Islip. If that is the case, then I would look at options where you can return the car to Islip.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
233 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about traveling from Manhattan to Long Island

Thanks, I do mean the Hampton Inn in Islandia but I am also looking at the Hyatt Regency in Hauppage. I just noticed that the Hyatt will pick up at the train station and they have a rental car onsite. Maybe that is the way to go. Sorry, I know absolutely nothing about this area! Where to eat will be my next question.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,263 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about traveling from Manhattan to Long Island

Where to eat… You're sort of in the black hole of food in that area - a lot of pub food. What time of year is this trip? There are nice places along the coast - or if you feel like it, you could take the ferry to Fire Island for the night.

The closest really good food is probably in Babylon, but new spots might have opened since the last time I had an Islip/Bay Shore based boyfriend.

You might want to go on Chowhound - there must be something good out on Long Island between Nassau County - and the North Fork or Hamptons.

suitcaseready.com

Edited: 05 February 2014, 22:45
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,263 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about traveling from Manhattan to Long Island

to clarify, when I say take the ferry to Fire Island for the night, I mean for dinner and back the same night. The ferries to Ocean Beach, where there are the most restaurants, return to the mainland at 11 or midnight. Depending on time of year.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
233 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about traveling from Manhattan to Long Island

This would be first week of April.

NY
Level Contributor
743 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about traveling from Manhattan to Long Island

You will be pretty close to the Irish coffee house in central islip.,, amazing food! From there it's very close to a south shore town sayville which has lots of restaurants and nice to walk around. Also close to sayville (next town over in bayport) is another gem... Grey horse tavern... Farm to table kind of a place. All these towns/options are probably within 10-15 miles from islandia/hauppauge. In those areas you are more likely to find chains.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
233 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question about traveling from Manhattan to Long Island

Exactly what I was looking for! Thank you!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,955 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question about traveling from Manhattan to Long Island

I see no reason to rent a car at JFK. I'd compare the price of

1) renting a car in Manhattan near where you're staying and driving yourselves out to Islip and returning the car at Islip

2) renting and returning at Islip airport

3) renting at whatever hotel you pick and taking a taxi to the airport.

maps.google.com

has a search nearby feature on your computer that will show you what restaurants (or anything else) are near any hotel or location. That area is loaded with chain restaurants and diners. Casa Rustica in Smithtown looks like the closest upscale restaurant.

http://goo.gl/maps/IGjxm

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
233 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question about traveling from Manhattan to Long Island

I agree-I think it is easier to rent a car from the hotel. Now I just have to figure out how the Long Island Railroad works.