We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Apple Greeter

West Yorks
Level Contributor
990 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Big Apple Greeter

Just confirmed! Yipee

Didn't realize they did this but I just had a phone call (to the UK) confirming and a lovely chat with Joseph.

Booked for 11 March.

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
147 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,169 Reviews
from US$57.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,053 Reviews
from US$83.99*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,417 Reviews
from US$37.00*
Worcester...
Level Contributor
879 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Big Apple Greeter

Congrats!

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Big Apple Greeter

Requested one for beginning of April and had some ideas of where I wanted to go but it has changed as we have found some walking tours. I just wondered out of curiosity if you got a greeter, where would you use them for if you had them for a day?

Pps, hasn't been confirmed yet, they said we wont know til a fortnight before.

Edited: 06 February 2014, 17:38
Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Big Apple Greeter

How long ago did you request one?

West Yorks
Level Contributor
990 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Big Apple Greeter

I requested mine back in September and asked for 'greeter's choice'.

Joseph is going to email me next week with 3 options from which to choose. You don't get a greeter for a whole day but about 4 hours.

If I had been unsuccessful I was looking at the freetoursbyfoot organization.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,226 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Big Apple Greeter

You don't "use" volunteers. You enjoy their company.

If your plans have changed, please notify Big Apple Greeter so they can match their volunteers with people who really want to spend time with them.

It is not a first come first served situation volunteers see the open request list and choose to commit their time to a specific request. Some make these decisions way in advance, some closer to the time. The office does its best to encourage greeters to accept visits.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,140 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Big Apple Greeter

We had a fantastic experience with a greeter a few years ago, and we still keep in touch by email and meet up for coffee every time we go back to NYC. Please make a donation though, they struggle for funding year on year.

Mentioned in this post
Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Big Apple Greeter

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone when I meant 'use' them. I totally understand they are volunteers and perhaps the way I worded it was not correct. I just meant if you have someone who is so knowledgeable then I would like to make the most of the time spent together and am not wasting time. I have given them some ideas of things we would like to do and our interests and but are also open to suggestions I just wondered if there were some things that greeters would be better/more knowledgeable at than say a walking tour. I guess if greeters are given knowledge of my request it will help them make decisions and pick whether they and I would be comfortable together, e.g. I stated we are in a same sex relationship so anyone who volunteers needs to be comfortable with this and if they are not then obviously they won't volunteer for us (if that makes sense).

I will let them know that one place we thought of we have realized we can do this ourselves and combine it with something else on the day so we wouldn't want a greeter to take us there.

Apologies if this offended anyone.

Chicago
Level Contributor
733 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Big Apple Greeter

You didn't offend anyone. Some people live to be obnoxiously pedantic.

Enjoy your trip to NYC. Greeters are a wonderful way to explore the city.

Edited: 07 February 2014, 03:30
Mentioned in this post
Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
183 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Big Apple Greeter

I have requested one for the beginning of June. Really hoping we get one.

SE QLD
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Big Apple Greeter

Lucky you, Pennylets. Hope you have a wonderful time.