We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NY December Trip Report

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
NY December Trip Report

At December I did my first trip to New York and USA in general.

That was a dream trip for me. I have been to many countries in the World but I have never made it to North America. That is an issue, if you think that I have my best friends from the other side of Atlantic. So Christmas time was ideal since I had free time from my job.

I booked my tickets I informed my friends at NY and ready for the "New World".

I m lucky enouph to have one of my best friends in life there, this is Litsa and Johny, famous members of TA years now.

After a long flight I arrived at Newark.

The immigration part was so easy. I was expecting long lines, super secure measures. From the moment you arrived at the States even from the Americans at the plane you have the impression that you deal with one of the most hospitable countries of the World.

The impression changed to reality. They open a new kiosk because of the big lines so in less than 10 minutes I faced the policeman there. My first impression of American local authorities.

Hello Sir! Are you from Greece? Yes Sir. Beautiful country I hope I will go one day. Do you have anything to declare? This and that. Just a check to your luggage Sir. In 10 minutes I had my permission to enter to the country. Perfect.

Since I smoke the first thing came in my mind is to go outdoors and smoke. I was expecting my friend Litsa, she arrived 10 minutes after my first cigarette. After so many vacations and good time with her in Greece now I'm in her territory.

Hugs, kisses, unforgettable moments.

Like an expert local she suggest me to take the train instead of a taxi because of the rush time at the streets. That was wise decision.

We arrived after 30 minutes to downtown New York and.....!!!!

What will be eternal in my mind, Empire State building lit with red green Christmas lights in front of me. Speechless. Is when you realize you finally arrived to what you hear and see at the pics. . For a European the feeling is that you are already part of an American movie.

Everything looks so familiar but at the same time so impressive.

After the wow and pics we crab a taxi to fifth avenue to go to Kellari. The famous Greek restaurant. Yes first day at NY and we will do it Greek. It may sound weird but we knew that we will drink our wines and have excellent food and it truly was and we had 6 days more to go different.

Lovely grilled Octopus, perfect sea food pasta and an excellent taramosalata.

After we finish our meal we walked the streets of NY.

The experience of walking NY at night lit under Christmas decoration is a lifetime one.........

Fifth avenue, NY library, Chrysler building.

Check in the hotel Holiday Inn at 37 street.

The lovely reception girl called Lauren upgrade me at a room with views. I open the curtains and I had the Empire state in front of my eyes.

That day I fell asleep with open curtains.

Next morning I woke up with a sunrise just touching the body of the building.

Yes wake up!! You are at NY now.

I had my breakfast at a diners. Wow what else to do to feel finally I'm at America.

The huge positively shocking experience of USA is when you walk in a super market or diner.

You can find there everything, any Sandwich you want any drink you want, a selection of 200 different drink products to enjoy.

You never get bored. The stores in Europe they look so miserable after that.

I had a great Mexican style sandwich and a strong filter coffee, again yes I'm at USA and I made my way to Metropolitan Museum.

What a lovely place, what a lovely neighborhood!!

I count the area of Central park as the most beautiful place of the city. Next to the gigantic North American flora park you can admire some of the most amazing skyscrapers of the World and everything on an island. Where else you can see that.

Metropolitan has a huge selections of treasures,the most impressive for me the Egyptian collection and the American Wing section.

Like a typical tourist I get lost. I asked a lady from Florida for any help or direction. She was there with her lovely family. After 5 minutes we end like friends taking photos like we knew each other forever. That it might seem weird but the people I met there they just needed a smile and a positive approach of who you are and your intension. After that you can ensure they are going to be the most hospitable people you met in the World!!

to be continued...: )

SE QLD
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: NY December Trip Report

Great start, gas. Your writing is very enjoyable.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,715 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: NY December Trip Report

I especially loved this:

"Next morning I woke up with a sunrise just touching the body of the building."

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
28,126 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: NY December Trip Report

Thank you gas for writing such a delightful trip report!............I can not wait to read the next installment...

arkansas
Level Contributor
226 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: NY December Trip Report

This is an awesome trip report! :) Thanks for sharing! I think sometimes we americans can forget how truly blessed we are. Thanks for reminding me! Lovely writing!

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
Level Contributor
5,654 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: NY December Trip Report

I am really enjoying reading your TR, cant wait for the next chapter/

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: NY December Trip Report

C'mon Gas.. where are you?;-) We're all waiting.. looking forward for more to EnJOY!!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
28,126 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: NY December Trip Report

Gas.........I agree with Litsa, I dropped by the forum just to read another installment or your report....

Ottawa
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: NY December Trip Report

Gas, we are looking for you?

Karen

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: NY December Trip Report

Gas must be outside smoking a cigarette and too busy to continue. :-)

I would also like to read more.

London, United...
Level Contributor
470 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: NY December Trip Report

What a great trip report! You have a lovely witing style and your enthusiasm is obvious.