We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel for first time NYC trip with mom, grandma and 2 teenag

eugene, OR
Level Contributor
24 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
hotel for first time NYC trip with mom, grandma and 2 teenag

We are traveling to NYC 3/20-3/27. Plan to do typical touristy stuff. Looking for a well-situated hotel (or 2 hotels, I am open to moving mid-stay if that makes sense) which has a little elbow room and at least 2 beds + a sofa bed. I don't need super high-end luxury (and can't afford it!), but I love a good hotel and am willing to spend a bit more to get something comfortable and stylish. I would like a bar in the lobby and good restaurants close by. Breakfast included is nice but not a deal maker or breaker. Same with wine hours. I am currently looking at Casablanca, San Carlos and Affinia Manhattan. I am getting rates in the mid $300s at each for a 1 bedroom suite.

Does anyone have a preference between the 3?

Also, does it make more sense to stay put or divide the trip into a couple nights downtown (for Stanton Island, Tenement Museum etc) with remaining 4-5 nights in midtown?

Thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8,973 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel for first time NYC trip with mom, grandma and 2 teenag

Bump. Sorry this was missed, hopefully someone can answer you now.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
729 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel for first time NYC trip with mom, grandma and 2 teenag

Dear Mayadog,

It's probably not worth the inconvenience of moving hotels in the middle. The hotels you have chosen are all in Mid Town and so you'll be able to get just about anywhere quite easily. The extra time it will take you to get to Battery Park will be less than the hassle of having moved hotels. Also, the Affinia is likely the best choice of the bunch for comfort and value.

Diane

NYC Photo Safari

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,553 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel for first time NYC trip with mom, grandma and 2 teenag

I don't know what set up you'd get at the Casablanca. Their rooms are not that large and the 2 bedded rooms will be doubles. The San Carlos I know has 1 bedroom suites with 2 queen beds and a sofabed. I think some even have a second bathroom which would be great for you. The Best Western Hospitality is another to consider. They have both 1 and 2 bedroom suites, both with sofabeds and at least 1 option will be with 2 queen beds in the bedroom. They include a full cooked breakfast in the room rate and you get a full kitchen as well. Not sure that any of their suites have 2 bathrooms though.

London, United...
Level Contributor
431 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel for first time NYC trip with mom, grandma and 2 teenag

We're staying at the Hospitality House as mentioned above by nywhiz. We have a 2-bedrromed apartment but, as stated, it only has 1 bathroom. 2-bedromed apartments come with either a Queen or twin beds in 1 of the rooms. Their penthouse suite has 2 Queens and 2 bathrooms as well as a patio but is obviously more expensive. It has very good reviews on TA so I'm hoping it will be good!

eugene, OR
Level Contributor
24 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel for first time NYC trip with mom, grandma and 2 teenag

Thank you! The Casablanca does have small rooms and beds, I was just enthralled with the great reviews and they were super friendly on the phone. Their one bedroom suite has 2 double beds and a pullout sofa. I got a good rate quote at Affinia which looks a little more interesting on the website than the San Carlos. Do you have any thoughts on it?

eugene, OR
Level Contributor
24 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel for first time NYC trip with mom, grandma and 2 teenag

Thank you so much. Have a great trip!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,553 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotel for first time NYC trip with mom, grandma and 2 teenag

There are 5 or more Affinia hotels, 50, Manhattan, Gardens, Shelburne, Dumont. I don't know which one you mean but I think the San Carlos is right now better than most of them. The San Carlos doesn't charge for wifi which the Affinias do (unless you get a special offer) and the only Affinias that have been recently renovated are the 50 and the Manhattan. The 50 is near the San Carlos. If it's less expensive and/or you prefer that, I understand. Just keep in mind the Affinia doesn't include breakfast and does charge for wifi. But you also get a full kitchen in most of the Affinia suites whereas the San Carlos is just a kitchenette.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,553 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotel for first time NYC trip with mom, grandma and 2 teenag

Rereading your initial post, it's probably the Affinia Manhattan you're looking at and frankly while it's convenient, it's not the location I'd pick (near Penn station). I think the Kimberly is more the kind of hotel you would like. They have 1 bedroom suites with 2 double beds and a sofabed, a rooftop bar/lounge and a fairly recent renovation. The only downside is the double beds vs. the queens.

eugene, OR
Level Contributor
24 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hotel for first time NYC trip with mom, grandma and 2 teenag

Thank you so much for your assistance. It is the Affinia Manhattan. The rooms looked nicer and seemed to get better reviews than the San Carlos. I did get internet for free by booking online. The Kimberly looked great but it was waaay more expensive. I'm still debating....

eugene, OR
Level Contributor
24 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hotel for first time NYC trip with mom, grandma and 2 teenag

Thank you! Truly appreciate the insight.