We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Group of five travelling from JFK to Long Island

Derry, United...
Level Contributor
69 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Group of five travelling from JFK to Long Island

We are a family of 5 looking to travel from JFK to the Comfort Inn Long Island. I am looking for a cost effective way to make this journey. On the forum I see the recommendations of using a cab but in my case I presume I will need two (considering 5 people and all the luggage). Are there alternatives?

Mentioned in this post
The Comfort Diner
The Comfort Diner
782 Reviews
New York City, NY
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,747 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Group of five travelling from JFK to Long Island

Do you mean the Comfort Inn Long Island CITY? Long Island City is a neighborhood of Queens just across the East River from Manhattan.

Long Island is a long island, well over 100 miles long.

Mentioned in this post
The Comfort Diner
The Comfort Diner
782 Reviews
New York City, NY
Queens
Queens
New York
Ohio
Level Contributor
9,592 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Group of five travelling from JFK to Long Island

do you mean long island city or long island? they are two different places.

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Group of five travelling from JFK to Long Island

Train would be best.

Just to help you orient yourself with the local lingo (and I know this can be confusing) - Long Island is not a specific place - it refers to a large suburban area made up of millions of people including The Hamptons (100 miles from New York City).

Long Island City is actually not what anybody would refer to as Long Island. If you want to get technical, the reason it is called Long Island City is that it is technically part of Long Island but to most people Long Island is the opposite direction from JFK Airport as New York City.

So, you'd take the JFK AirTrain to Jamaica ($5.00 per person). Fare control is handled at Jamaica when you exit and there are lots of friendly uniformed people to help you free of charge (no gratuity expected).

You'll follow the clearly marked signs to the NYC Subway and you'll board a Manhattan bound E train in the direction of World Trade Center. You'll exit at Queens Plaza and walk to your very conveniently located hotel.

Mentioned in this post
Hamptons
Hamptons
Long Island, NY
Jamaica
Jamaica
Queens, NY
Subway
Subway
6 Reviews
New York City, NY
Queens
Queens
New York
The Plaza
The Plaza
2,570 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Group of five travelling from JFK to Long Island

Hey ciaranroddy:-) Another alternate considering there are 5 of you with *all the luggage* is to check out a car service that would offer you a flat rate door to door.. check www.dial7.com/ www.carmellimo.com/ You simply call them from their courtesy phone at the airport.. they'll tell you where to meet them outside.. usually takes about 10 min or so and you're all on your way;-) Best.. and EnJOY!

5. Re: Group of five travelling from JFK to Long Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2015, 06:18