We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Day 1

Toronto
Level Contributor
242 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Day 1

Okay, here goes I will try not to add too many mundane details!

We actually arrived the night before at 11:30 but went straight to bed after more than 12 hours on a train.

We woke up early since we were meeting our Big Apple Greeter at 9:00 a.m. We went out to find a coffee shop. Right next door to Radio City Apartments is a coffee shop/deli. Got coffee and bagel and then decided to explore because we had time before we were to meet BAG. Walked around the block, they were filming something at Fox and we were offered free tickets for an afternoon news show. I declined since I wasn't familiar with show. Back to hotel to meet BAG.

We met our greeter in the lobby, we had indicated greeter's choice and our greeter asked our interests and we set out. He pointed out the food carts and explained that we could get different items at different times of the day. Great selections and also fruit carts in the area. We then headed to Times Square where he showed us where the ball drops. Our BAG explained how the streets and avenues run and let us know why the New Yorkers were stepping off the sidewalk before the signal actually indicated we could walk. We made our way to the Murray Hill district where our BAG resides and we learned some of the history of this area. We walked along 7th Ave. and saw the tributes to famous designers on the sidewalk. We were also shown the Avenue with the famous quotes on the sidewalk. We made our way to Bryant Park and walked through it, what an oasis in the middle of the city. I was very impressed with all of the flowers and trees not only here but in every possible space if only very small. We were shown different types of architecture and took a stroll through the lobby of the Waldorf Astoria. Our BAG also took us for a subway ride and bus ride and pointed out sights along the way. We parted back in front of our hotel at about 12:30. This was an invaluable experience and we could really feel the greeter's passion for his city.

We went into hotel to freshen up, we were there on one of the hottest days of the year thus far.

We decided to venture to Times Square and went in search of cheesecake. We stopped at Juniors for a late lunch: my daughter had the ceasar salad, I had the chef's salad. They were both excellent, fresh and refreshing on such a warm day. Neither of us finished our very large salads since we definitely wanted to save room for the cheesecake. My daughter had chocolate swirl and I had raspberry. Superb!

After lunch we noticed the TKTS booth behind the Marriott, they had 1/2 price tickets for The Wedding Singer and others, we decided on The Wedding Singer and purchased tickets. (no lineups)

At Junior's we had gotten directions for Macy's so off we went. We browsed through Macy's and got a couple of the Macy's totes. My 16yr old daughter, one for her books and myself one to transport my lunch and book to work. They had many wonderful colors and styles, it was difficult to choose only one each.

We walked back up 6th Ave. to our hotel and stopped at Duane Reade (drug store) to stock up on water for our hotel room. Water can be kind of pricey on the street up to $2.00 for a small bottle. When we got back to the hotel we collapsed and rested before we started to get ready for the show.

We decided that since we had a late lunch and the show started at 7:00 p.m. we would have something to eat afterwards. The Wedding Singer was great, we both loved it, very lively, lots of fun. I noticed that the mode of dress for Broadway was extremely varied, everything from shorts and flip flops to long gown type dresses. We were in between and felt very comfortable. As we left the theatre it started to drizzle but as we approached the Hershey store it became a downpour so we really did have to duck in to get out of the rain, really! Now since we were in here we just had to stock up on the items from Hershey's that aren't available in Canada. About $30.00 later and a break in the rain we started back to the hotel. Luckily I had plastic ponchos in my bag so I put mine on but under no circumstances could I coax the 16year old daughter to suit up, ponchos, so uncool. We joined the crowd and started to run back to hotel. We stopped close to the hotel at Pax Foods for a sandwich and water, not the weather to be choosy! The sandwiches were very good. Back to hotel, time to sleep, have to get up at 5:30 a.m., tomorrow is Regis and Kelly.

Toronto
Level Contributor
242 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Trip Report - Day 1

Jillian29......

We loved the RCA, our review is up on the Hotel board, check it out!

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Trip Report - Day 1

Great first day! Looking forward to more. Hope you found time to enjoy the "vest pocket" parks next to your hotel and directly across the street. It's nice to take a break, and you can sit and enjoy the food from the street carts and take-out places.

I could see where Hershey's would be a great place to get out of the rain!

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
11 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Trip Report - Day 1

How do you go about getting a BAG? How expensive is it?

Toronto
Level Contributor
242 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Trip Report - Day 1

Big Apple Greeters is a free volunteer service. They have a website and you could also search for BAG on this forum. I filled out the online application about 3 months in advance.

Sunderland, United...
Destination Expert
for Sunderland
Level Contributor
6,791 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Trip Report - Day 1

Great first instalment. The BAG service is the best isn't it?

16. Re: Trip Report - Day 1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 22:19