We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manhattan to NYCB Westbury and back again

Benfleet, United...
Level Contributor
566 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Manhattan to NYCB Westbury and back again

Hi all,

I will be in New York in April and have just found out that Frankie Valli is doing a gig in Westbury while I am there.

What are the transport options for getting from the Washington Square Hotel in Greenwich Village to the NYCB Theatre in Westbury. Was thinking train to get there and cab to get back. The show starts at 8pm, not sure when it will finish.

Also how safe is Westbury at night and would we be able to book a cab locally to pick us up at the venue?

Many thanks in advance.

Lynn

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manhattan to NYCB Westbury and back again

Westbury is a very safe little bedroom community in suburban Nassau County. Nearby towns include Carle Place and Hicksville. Some Long Island Rail Road trains skip Westbury because the nearby stations in Carle Place and Hicksville are so close.

There are always taxi's readily available at Westbury however you'll find an even greater number of cabs at Hicksville. Of the various communities, the largest towns are Hicksville and Mineola (the county seat).

I can't really see incurring the expense of a taxi back to NYC (probably over $100.) when the Long Island Rail Road pretty much runs 24 / 7. Check the nearby stations in addition to Westbury.

Note that the trains after Midnight may show up as the first trains so don't be alarmed if you see a schedule that appears to show the last train at say 11:30PM (hypothetically) - that doesn't mean there isn't a train at say 12:15AM (it would just be listed at the start of the timetable)

Benfleet, United...
Level Contributor
566 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manhattan to NYCB Westbury and back again

Hi MoreFFmiles

Thank you for the info and advice. The only thing that worries me about getting the train back is safety. Would it be well used at that time of night or prettty empty. We are 2, 50 something, ladies travelling together.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,570 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manhattan to NYCB Westbury and back again

There are no safety problems going from Westbury to Manhattan. The Long Island Railroad ( LIRR) is safe! While i haven't ridden it at night ( i drive) every train has a conductor, walking through checking tickets, on it. You are not alone.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Manhattan to NYCB Westbury and back again

The train ride is safe.

I did a trip from one of these towns (Mineola, Westbury or some other one - can't recall which) and there were plenty of people on the LIRR after my concert.

I took a cab from the station to the venue (different from yours) and asked the driver for his business card. That way I had a number for the local cab company if I could not find a cab after the event. It wasn't needed as there were plenty of cabs cruising around.

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manhattan to NYCB Westbury and back again

A lot of Americans won't understand why you're asking about the safety of a commuter train but I've been on trains in the UK at night and I understand your concern.

Things are a little different around here than in the UK. When I've been on trains in the UK late at night, they seem to be filled with rowdy kids causing some problems. Here in the US the commuter trains are very peaceful.

There will be other people on the trains but mostly people going to work at night shift jobs. New York is a 24 /7 city so there are always lots of people coming in to their overnight trading jobs (Wall St. is 24 / 7 as there are people focused on Asian equities and European equities), hotels, hospitals, etc. etc.

You'll be safe - you will not be surrounded by drunk and rowdy people and you won't have people prowling for a petty crime opportunity. The Long Island Rail Road is very safe and there will be uniformed conductors coming through the train as well as random patrols by the MTA Police.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,426 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manhattan to NYCB Westbury and back again

I've been on LIRR trains very late at night and early in the morning. They're usually subdued and pleasant, with working people snoozing a bit before or after their jobs, and friendly, attentive conductors roaming the train.

Benfleet, United...
Level Contributor
566 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manhattan to NYCB Westbury and back again

Thank you so much for all of your advice. It has certainly put my mind at rest and I will now look into buying the gig tickets.

Benfleet, United...
Level Contributor
566 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manhattan to NYCB Westbury and back again

hi it's me again

Got another couple of questions for you. Sorry, the first is about safety issues again. I have read somewhere that Hicksville station is not very nice at night with alot of bums hanging around there. hopefully, if that is the case, we will be with lots of fellow concert goers while waiting for the train back to Penn.

I have booked the tickets for the show but have to collect them on the day. It seems that the box office shuts at 5.30pm, so we would have to arrive early to get the tickets then perhaps go back to Hicksville for something to eat before the show, would we have to gets cabs to do this?. I have also read elsewhere that there is a Johnny Rockets in the mall at Hicksville, is this near the station?

I know i am a pain in the butt but I like to be organised.

Thanks again

NY
Level Contributor
743 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Manhattan to NYCB Westbury and back again

So it sounded weird to me that box office would close at 530 on a show night bc many people use the "will call" option of picking up their tickets b4 a show... So I l poked at website and it states that the box office is open up till 1/2 hour after show start time. So you should be ok showing up just b4 show time.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
15,306 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Manhattan to NYCB Westbury and back again

It's possible that the box office closed temporarily so that the box office staff could get a bite to eat. It probably reopens about an hour before curtain & the doors probably open about a half hour before curtain. If you get to the box office either about an hour before curtain & then head someplace for a drink before the show (I don't recommend standing in the lobby waiting for the doors to open) or show up about a half hour before curtain & go to the "will call" window, you should be fine.