We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9/11 Tribute Center Tour vs 9/11 memorial

arkansas
Level Contributor
226 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
9/11 Tribute Center Tour vs 9/11 memorial

http://www.tributewtc.org/aboutus/index.php

We are coming down the 1st week of March. I am trying to decide if the 9/11 tribute tour adds to the 9/11 memorial.

Without the tour, we'd save about an hour..

If it doesn't add to the memorial, then maybe we take that time and visit the SOL pedestal & museum?

Thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,152 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9/11 Tribute Center Tour vs 9/11 memorial

I would do the latter. I went to the 9/11 Memorial without a tour and it was easy to quietly look (the brochure is very useful) and then leave. I say this without having done a tour of the Memorial.

arkansas
Level Contributor
226 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9/11 Tribute Center Tour vs 9/11 memorial

At this time I think this is the direction I am leaning. Thanks!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
293 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 9/11 Tribute Center Tour vs 9/11 memorial

The Tribute Center tours are lead by people who experienced 9/11. They take you through security and then acclimate you to the site - where things were, what happened on 9/11, etc. Then they will take about 20 mintues to tell you their 9/11 story. They are survivors, family members who lost loved ones, first responders, people who lived in the area and recovery workers. There are two Tribute tour guides on every tour so you'll get two stories. It makes the experience a very personal and moving one. If you have the time I would do Tribute.

arkansas
Level Contributor
226 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 9/11 Tribute Center Tour vs 9/11 memorial

See this is why I decided to do it to begin with, lol. I want to experience that! So... I just basically spend very little time @ Brooklyn Bridge. Because I will see Phantom of the Opera @ 8. And we'll need to be at dinner @ 5..

Thanks for the reminder why we wanted to do that in the 1st place!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
293 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 9/11 Tribute Center Tour vs 9/11 memorial

You're welcome! I think it will be a great experience. If you have any extra time come to the tour a bit early because Tribute is also a museum (a small one) and you can go through and take a look at the exhibits. They have artifacts including a piece of the WTC steel.

arkansas
Level Contributor
226 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 9/11 Tribute Center Tour vs 9/11 memorial

GGOT, how long does it usually take to go thru it? the tour & the museum?

Edited: 10 February 2014, 01:11
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
13,740 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 9/11 Tribute Center Tour vs 9/11 memorial

Even for me, dinner at 5 before an 8 pm curtain is a bit too far apart & I eat rather leisurely. Unless you are planning on dinner quite a bit away from the Theater District or wandering around Times Square between dinner & the show, 5:30 or 6 would be sufficient.

weston super mare
Level Contributor
189 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 9/11 Tribute Center Tour vs 9/11 memorial

Sorry to gatecrash but can someone explain the tribute tour. We are planning to visit the memorial next week but how to we go about arrange the tour? Thanks

shropshire
Level Contributor
14 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 9/11 Tribute Center Tour vs 9/11 memorial

Hi, we visited last September and arranged a tour of the memorial through the Tribute Centre, instead of going to the memorial independently. It was really thought provoking to hear the stories of 2 people who experienced 9/11 in different ways, a paramedic and an office worker in the south tower. I would say definitely go through the tribute centre for a guided walk. There is a small museum at the tribute centre too which is good, we looked around this after the walk. Also don't miss St Paul's Chapel just nearby which served as a rest centre for the rescue workers. I have done reviews for the walk and chapel last year, just look on my profile for them. Hope this helps. We booked the tour through the tribute centre website before we visited. We spent about an hour and a half on the tour and nearly an hour in the small museum afterwards, very moving.

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 9/11 Tribute Center Tour vs 9/11 memorial

Have to agree with doing the tour! We done it the day the storm hit on jan 2nd and it was freezing!! But well worth it to hear the leaders story. We jumped the admission line too! He discussed so much it really was emotional and even though I have already done the tour I would still do it again to hear a different persons views. I could have stayed all day just reading each and every persons name and paying my respects to a day no one will ever forget.