We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jersey city vs new york

Marseille, France
Level Contributor
205 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Jersey city vs new york

Hello,

I have started planning our trip to New York for June 2014.

We will be flying into Newark airport and are thinking of staying in the waterfront area of Jersey city. Main reasons for this being that it close to Newark airport and the amazing views of Manhattan. We are travelling as a couple with a young child.

Just looking for some general feedback from people who have stayed in the area. Was it a good place to base yourself? How was safety travelling back later at night?

I am not against staying in new york and will if Jersey city is not advised. just through waling up to the view woukd be awesome.

Many thanks

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,982 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jersey city vs new york

Where exactly in Jersey City ? Jersey City is a great option to stay.

conn
Level Contributor
2,977 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jersey city vs new york

there are a lot better places to stay in NJ not that anything really wrong with Jersey City

USA
Level Contributor
12,735 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jersey city vs new york

If you're vacationing in NYC, then why not stay there? I know it costs more, but I couldn't imagine staying anywhere else. Granted the views from JC and Hoboken are amazing, but there is something about being in the city.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,250 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jersey city vs new york

If your budget allows, staying in NYC is your best option.

If you want to save a little money, and don't mind a 20 minute trip back and forth (longer on the weekend, when the PATH goes via Hoboken to/from Jersey City to get to NYC). With an infant, I doubt you plan to be doing late partying in the city, so Jersey City is an option.

Definitely pick a hotel on the PATH line near Newport or Grove Street. The Hyatt at Exchange Place is another option but the PATH to WTC on the weekends have been a mess lately. Maybe temporary, but not sure I would take the chance.

suitcaseready.com

5. Re: Jersey city vs new york

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2014, 16:08
Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
783 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Jersey city vs new york

Staying in Jersey City can be less expensive than staying in Manhattan. The Manhattan view is indeed impressive, but note that not all rooms in all hotels are arranged to take advantage of it.

Jersey City's limited number of restaurants tend to close earlier than do their Manhattan counterparts.

Jersey City is not served by the New York MTA subway, but rather by the PATH system. The PATH schedule is somewhat limited in the late evening hours. The round trip to midtown Manhattan, including waiting, may take about an hour out of your day. Unlimited use Metrocards cannot be used on the PATH system. Note that there will be weekend service shutdowns between Exchange Place in Jersey City and the World Trade Center during many weekends in 2014.

As for safety, the contrast between Manhattan late-night crowds and nearly-deserted Jersey City streets can be a bit unsettling, but I don't know that there are safety issues in returning to Jersey City late at night.

When you select a place to stay, check to see how far it is from a PATH station. TripAdvisor poster NorthofDC thinks favorably of the Candlewood Suites, but it is a bit of a walk to a PATH stop. Tripadvisor poster nywhiz recommends the Westin and the Doubletree. My choices would be the Candlewood Suites or the Westin. Just don't stay on Tonnelle Avenue.

Bottom line: there are advantages and disadvantages to staying in Jersey City. It all depends how you balance cost savings against convenience loss.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k7162097…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k7026793…

... and they seem to feel the same way over on the Jersey City forum:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g46531-i874-k70326…

Edited: 10 February 2014, 23:06
7. Re: Jersey city vs new york

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2014, 16:08
Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
26,734 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jersey city vs new york

New York City would be my choice stay there enjoy.

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,946 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jersey city vs new york

It's a little tricky to reply to someone who lives in another country on this issue. But the key point might be that, since the end of WW II, the U.S. has not had the commitment to mass transit that other developed countries have generally had. Staying in Jersey City is a bit like staying in a Paris suburb that is just beyond the last Metro stop, but maybe near one of the less-frequent RER lines. But as noted, there is no "pass" that covers unlimited use of both the PATH trains and the NYC subway ("metro") trains and buses. TripAdvisor covers a LOT of NYC hotels. Please be sure you are not willing to pay $50 (?) a day more to be right on a subway line.

I was once in Paris on business, long ago, and we were put in a 3-* hotel quite near Avenue de L'Opera. I thought it was rather far from La Villette, where the business was. But the frequency and speed of the trains made the distance unimportant. That's not the case for Jersey City. (I love the Ferry ride from J.C. to the World Financial Center. But it has poor service outside business hours, and no "view" at night.)

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,465 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jersey city vs new york

With a young child, you may find that it is very important to be able to go back to your room to unwind a bit (and maybe nap time) then be able to head out again. It would be great to be in a nice, interesting, walkable area with good restaurants, etc.

Even without a child, sometimes you want to pop back to the hotel to unwind and freshen up before dinner, drop off purchases, etc. Going back to Jersey City, I would think you'd be less inclined to head out again.

If you can afford Manhattan, stay there :-)

Edited: 11 February 2014, 01:56