We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice Restaurant for a 50th

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Nice Restaurant for a 50th

Im taking my Mum to NYC for her 50th and would like to take her somewhere nice for her Birthday Meal.Im open to any suggestions/recommendations as we eat almost everything.Somewhere not too "Fancy/Snobby" as shes a really chilled relax lady who HATES FUSS.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,068 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice Restaurant for a 50th

What about an afternoon tea with a VIEW? The two places that are often mentioned (by others as well as me!) are the Mandarin Oriental and the restaurant at Bergdorf Goodmans. If you decide on the latter, do ask to be seated at one of the tables by the window with the shell chairs.

When we go to the theatre or a concert when in NYC we sometimes have a large afternoon tea at BGs so that our evening meal isn't a rushed affair and there's time for the food to digest.

Happy 50th to your Mum and what a lovely gift you are giving her.

Edited: 11 February 2014, 20:17
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,496 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice Restaurant for a 50th

Saying you eat everythig without a budget is not helping us help you. What's her favorite food? If you don't want a fancy place, what would please her? What day of the week does the bday wall a d what month? Would a lunch or dinner cruise appeal to her?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice Restaurant for a 50th

Aw Thank You Very Much,Never even thought of Afernoon Tea.Will certainly look into this as she loves nothing more than a cup of tea and a scone :-)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,068 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice Restaurant for a 50th

Great...and while you're on line...do give us more information as per NYWhiz's post in case you do want to do something for dinner or lunch instead.

The idea of a cruise with a meal sounds gorgeous.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice Restaurant for a 50th

Somewhere like a nice SteakHouse or a Chinese as there her favourite foods.Her Bday is March 10th(a monday)I know she prefers more relaxed dining rather than formal If that helps with suggestions(sorry im not used to forums) Its been 8years since our last visit to NYC so cant remember much :-(

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,068 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice Restaurant for a 50th

aggghhh...lots of discussions on this forum about steaks.

You can do a search on the Forum ...see above - then change the Filter from the default of Relevance to Date.

Chinese - you can do the same.

For both, search on the food review sites the locals use - Chowhound and Yelp...filter by cuisine and price.

Having said that - steak at Minetta Tavern and Chinese at Szechuan Gourmet 56 on 56th (casual) ...both these are recommended by Forum foodie Ziggy..... we've tried both...good choices.

For a view and Korean food - Gaonnuri...very good IMO.

arkansas
Level Contributor
226 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice Restaurant for a 50th

Thanks for those restaurants Jenny!! Adding to my list :)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice Restaurant for a 50th

Thank You Jenny will look into these.Thanks again.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,496 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice Restaurant for a 50th

Minetta Tavern came to my mind too when you said steak and relaxed. It's a really old restaurant that I think was an Italian place but has gotten a new life as a steak place. It's expensive though, as most steak places are. Red Farm is a Chinese place that,s getting a lot of buzz. Unfortunately I dont think they take reservations and I wouldn't want to be waiting for a birthday meal.

WALES!
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nice Restaurant for a 50th

I too am taking my mother to NYC for her 50th but not til Oct! So excited . . Minetta tavern sounds great but I'm looking to spoil her with a fancy place with great cocktails and fizz! I'm not rich however so a suggestion that's quite reasonably priced would help? Thanks in advance x