We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from New York (Manhattan) to Hamptons - via Woodbury?

Bergen, Norway
7 posts
Save Topic
Drive from New York (Manhattan) to Hamptons - via Woodbury?

Hi,

My girlfriend and I will be going to New York for the first time this summer (July). We want to get a taste of the sun and beach as well as the big city, so we have been looking into the possibility to spend a couple of nights at the Hamptons (not sure which Hampton yet). I know there is a train service from Manhattan to the Hamptons, but thought that it would be nice to rent a car to see the countryside for ourselves a bit. As long as we were on the road we were also thinking of visiting the Woodbury Outlet. I know this is in another direction, but maybe it would be alright to spend a day.

So my questions are:

Will it be ok to drive to Woodbury for a day and then onwards to Hamptons? Maybe book a hotel/motel near Woodbury before driving to Hamptons the next day...

This will be our first time renting a car/driving in another country - will it be difficult to find our way on the roads between the areas above? I have and will of course do the proper research to not get lost :)

Thanks! Tom

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Hampton
Hampton
New York
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
147 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,170 Reviews
from US$57.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,056 Reviews
from US$83.99*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,417 Reviews
from US$37.00*
Central Village...
Level Contributor
18,057 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from New York (Manhattan) to Hamptons - via Woodbury?

Woodbury Outlets/Central Valley, NY and the Hampton's are not even close to each other - Woodbury is north of Manhattan and the Hampton's are southeast.

You will spend a majority of your time driving - if I were you I'd nix Woodbury as you can get good sales on first quality goods (many of the outlets sell merchandise made specifically for the outlets/lesser quality). Enjoy the beach - do your retail therapy in Manhattan.

Poppa

Mentioned in this post
Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,845 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from New York (Manhattan) to Hamptons - via Woodbury?

That is, flat-out, a ridiculous idea - your two destinations are in completely opposite directions, hours away from each other. I'd also nix Woodbury and enjoy a leisurely drive on Long Island, visiting the wine country of the North Fork and the beaches of the South.

Mentioned in this post
NY
Level Contributor
743 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from New York (Manhattan) to Hamptons - via Woodbury?

If you are set on outlet shopping I should suggest the riverhead outlets that are out in eastern Long Island. It is "sort of" in the middle of the island right before it "forks" into the north or south fork. From there you can decide which way to go... North fork for charming towns, rocky beaches, beautiful wineries that host lots of tastings and events... Or south fork for hamptons, sandy beaches, montauk (I like better than hamptons) but way more traffic around weekends. Either "fork" would make for a great trip... Depends what you are into.

Mentioned in this post
New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from New York (Manhattan) to Hamptons - via Woodbury?

There is an excellent new hotel near Woodbury Common - Hampton Inn.

You would do Woodbury Common completely separate from The Hamptons as they're in different directions and it is difficult to get between the two as you'd go right through the City. I'd de-link / separate the two.

You can certainly drive to The Hamptons. You may find it easier to take the train to suburban Nassau County (Long Island) and rent the car there - easier than driving out of Manhattan. Hertz and Avis all have locations in Nassau County near the Long Island Rail Road commuter train stations. Hicksville is a good option. There are also good deals on car rentals at the Long Island Airport (MacArthur Airport - Islip in Ronkonkoma NY). The Long Island Airport is easily accessed by Long Island Rail Road Ronkonkoma branch trains to the Ronkonkoma station where buses, shuttles and taxi's are all available for the very short trip into the airport for the rental car.

Mentioned in this post
5. Re: Drive from New York (Manhattan) to Hamptons - via Woodbury?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2014, 15:33
Bergen, Norway
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive from New York (Manhattan) to Hamptons - via Woodbury?

Hehe, it's probably not the best idea - I am sure. One of the little goals with this trip was to see another part of New York that one normally does not see.. but could be that it is quite a bad idea still :)

Just for my curiosity.. according to Google Maps' driving directions it would take approx. 1hr of driving from Manhattan to Woodbury - and then approx. 3hrs of driving from Woodbury to East Hampton. Are these times realistic at all on, let's say, a Tuesday when there might be not as much traffic as during the weekends?

We'll might re-think our plan a little then.. :-)

Edit: Oh, a lot of new answers.. thank you all! We will have a look at your suggestions tonight :-)

Edited: 12 February 2014, 15:41
Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Central Village...
Level Contributor
18,057 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive from New York (Manhattan) to Hamptons - via Woodbury?

Tom - those times are 'pie-in-the-sky dreams - just nix Woodbury and check out spacey's suggestion about Riverhead Outlets - going to W'bury and then the Hamptons, very unwise, IMO.

Poppa

8. Re: Drive from New York (Manhattan) to Hamptons - via Woodbury?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2014, 15:33
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,622 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drive from New York (Manhattan) to Hamptons - via Woodbury?

You really won't see scenery on either of these routes -- just crowded expressway driving for the bulk of your trip.

Edited: 12 February 2014, 17:21
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,334 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drive from New York (Manhattan) to Hamptons - via Woodbury?

If you really have your heart set on Woodbury (vs LI outlet shopping) and you are planning on spending a few days in the Hamptons once you get there, it's not totally outrageous to start with a Woodbury day, then drive to the Hamptons that night. Just wait until well after rush hour.

It's not at all "on the way". Think of it as a separate day trip, then drive on to your next destination. Your idea of staying near the mall is also an option, but it seems like a waste.