We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do near WTC/SOL/Brooklyn Bridge/SI ferry

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,331 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
What to do near WTC/SOL/Brooklyn Bridge/SI ferry

There have been some questions about other things to do in lower Manhattan when visiting the above sites, but I don't think any of the threads mentioned either of these so they may be of interest.

1. Fiterman Hall is a block above the Vesey Street side of the WTC site, across from the little park with the red Jeff Koons balloon sculpture. The exhibit is of pictures of the building of the new trade center. It's been running for awhile but they don't seem to have an end date for it.

http://www.bmcc.cuny.edu/sfac/

2. There are tours of City Hall, which is at the Manhattan end of the Brooklyn Bridge. Even if you don't do the tour, City Hall Park is worth going through if it's on your way (I've mentioned the park before but don't think I've mentioned the building tour). It's especially nice in the summer when the fountains are going and the plantings are in bloom, and there's a changing art exhibit. And there are benches!

nyc.gov/html/…city_hall.shtml

Here's a partial recap of things that have been mentioned previously that you can google or search on TA, including some places to take a break. Maybe others could add on whatever I've missed or new things that come up.

Woolworth Building tour (requires advance reservation)

St. Paul's Chapel

Smithsonian Museum of the American Indian (free! and a great building)

Bowling Green Park (bull + benches)

Skyscraper Museum

Museum of American Finance

Federal Hall (free)

Trinity Church (and the Duane Reade across the street, which has pictures of the old ticker-tape parades on the second floor overlooking Broadway)

South Street Seaport area (for meals and Pier 15 for views/rest/ice cream)

Stone Street (for lunch/dinner)

The Elevated Acre (for views and a break)

Federal Reserve Bank (requires advance reservation)

Louise Nevelson Plaza hardly ever gets mentioned (maybe never) but she is one of my favorite American artists and her giant sculptures on this little traffic island (intersection of William Street/Maiden Lane) are impressive.

For details on food/shopping/events, the Downtown Alliance site is a good resource:

http://www.downtownny.com

Coming soon (check with us before your trip to make sure it's really happening):

A new Battery Park, a lot of which is fenced off for now.

Pier A, a cute little fireboat house on the edge of Battery Park which will have food places (spring 2014).

Brookfield Place, new shopping/food/events (partially open summer 2014 maybe).

The World Trade Center Museum (mid-May).

42 replies to this topic
Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,443 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do near WTC/SOL/Brooklyn Bridge/SI ferry

Nice post

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,165 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do near WTC/SOL/Brooklyn Bridge/SI ferry

Wow, lots of great info here. This is a keeper.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,331 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do near WTC/SOL/Brooklyn Bridge/SI ferry

Thanks. I'll try to keep it updated as there will be lots of changes in the area in the next 2 years and some of the posts are using old info.

I was just looking around at some of the "official" TA guides to NYC and noticed some things that need updating, which, I was surprised to find, anyone can do. I tried it out on a small scale and will try to find some time to devote to it.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,748 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do near WTC/SOL/Brooklyn Bridge/SI ferry

Fabulous post. I will add Museum of American Finance, African Burial Ground and any temporary exhibits that pop up at theWprld Financial Center.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8,973 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do near WTC/SOL/Brooklyn Bridge/SI ferry

Thanks for posting this BPNYC.

I'll add that I used the hardcopy of the Downtown Alliance map for my day in this area. It was fabulous. I picked it up at a tourist kiosk (just on the street). Great resource and I've been touting it ever since.

Another spot to add to the list is Zuccotti Park - this is the spot where the Occupy Movement in NYC had its occupation (for those of you who are interested!)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,331 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do near WTC/SOL/Brooklyn Bridge/SI ferry

Thanks for the additions! That Downtown Alliance map is really the best for below Chambers Street, and it can be printed from the web site. They also have a self-guided walking tour:

http://www.downtownny.com/walkingtours

The Downtown Connection should get a mention. It's a free mini-bus that makes a loop from the Seaport up the west side and thru a bit of Tribeca. You can get details and real-time updates on its location on the web site:

downtownny.com/getting-around/downtown-conne…

The Museum of American Finance is already on the list, near the middle.

Here is the link to the Brookfield events:

http://brookfieldplaceny.com/EventsCalendar

Today they were doing ice sculptures with a Valentines Day theme.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,331 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do near WTC/SOL/Brooklyn Bridge/SI ferry

I'm adding a link to the ranger-led walking tours that start at Castle Clinton, where the Statue of Liberty tickets are sold.

nyharborparks.org/visit/about-ranger-walking…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,553 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do near WTC/SOL/Brooklyn Bridge/SI ferry

This is a great post. ;) Is the Irish Hunger Memorial mentioned anywhere in here? What about the American Express memorial to it's lost employees, 11 Tears? It's mentioned in this link

http://www.911memorial.org/places-visit-0

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
226 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do near WTC/SOL/Brooklyn Bridge/SI ferry

Thanks for this post, can't wait to use it on my next visit! We went iceskating at the rink at Brookfield Place last Monday and had a blast! The atrium is so comfortable for those who do not wish to skate.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,443 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do near WTC/SOL/Brooklyn Bridge/SI ferry

Another fun and unusual thing to do when you take the ferry is to take a tour in Staten Island with http://carretatours.com

Reply to: What to do near WTC/SOL/Brooklyn Bridge/SI ferry
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted