We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

December or January - Which do you prefer?

Sydney, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
December or January - Which do you prefer?

Hi All

We are planning our third trip to NYC at the end of the year, either on the way to or on the way back from Europe. Which means we can either visit in December or January. I had originally wanted to see the city at Christmas time with all the decorations etc but as we would be there early December I've noticed this is a popular time of year and it is expensive, so the alternative would be to go at the end of January. I have previously been to NYC in the summer and fall and loved it but definitely want to go in the winter.

I'm wondering if you think its worth paying extra to see the city at Christmas time or whether visiting in January is just as good.

Thank you in advance for your advice!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,666 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: December or January - Which do you prefer?

Going at Christmas is nice and festive and there's less chance of deep snow, though it could happen in Dec.. Rockefeller Ctr is mobbed. End of January is typically colder and prone to more snow,and is less crowded. Great sales in January....

Edited: 13 February 2014, 23:29
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,971 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: December or January - Which do you prefer?

There's honestly nothing like NYC at Xmas time but if it's very early Dec. vs. late Jan. the price difference for hotels will be huge. I can't spend your money or make that decision for you. ;)

USA
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: December or January - Which do you prefer?

I would pick December because the weather is typically better. We can get snow and cold, but some December's are better than others. January is typically cold and snow is more likely. There is a lot of buzz around Christmas time and plenty to see.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,017 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: December or January - Which do you prefer?

Yes it is more expensive, and the tree at Rockefeller Center won't be lit till Wednesday 3rd Dec (Wed after Thanksgiving).

I would go early December. Why endure that cold without at least experiencing the Christmas festivities.

Have you seen this post from Frangipani and others about the dates for Christmas 2013?

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k6976…

It is magical. If you can save enough to go early December, I'd recommend it over the end of January option. I have spent 3 of the past 6 Christmas - New Year periods in NYC it is SO GOOD.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,148 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: December or January - Which do you prefer?

Christmas in NYC is wonderful. So many lights, beautiful decorations, holiday markets, etc! I just spent Christmas in Australia, and (though we had a wonderful time) there were shockingly few holiday displays. Here it is SO festive, really a special time if the year in NYC.

Also, as others have noted, it tends to be less bitterly cold in early December vs. late January. Which is one of several reasons why it's so much cheaper to visit in late January. But if cost is not your deciding factor, I'd definitely say come in early December. :)

6. Re: December or January - Which do you prefer?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2014, 15:33
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: December or January - Which do you prefer?

December for the Xmas vibe. Best time to be in NYC IMO!

8. Re: December or January - Which do you prefer?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2014, 15:33
Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,279 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: December or January - Which do you prefer?

Another December vote.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,040 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: December or January - Which do you prefer?

+1 for December, but for early Dec, it will be up to 3x more expensive for hotels. If cost is a factor, what is the maximum you can envision spending per night?