We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Celebrating our 25th Anniversary in NYC

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
66 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Celebrating our 25th Anniversary in NYC

At long last NYC. We've been to Paris, Rome, London, Madrid (the benefits of being married to an Englishmen with family in England and Europe) and now one of our must see cities at home is going to happen this April but we need help! We like to walk and take public transportation. We are "culture vultures" - we love museums and art galleries, things off the beaten path, local food in mom/pop cafes/pubs, we love street carts. We are "foodies" and we know it does't have to be expensive to be fantastic. We love watching a city wake up. My husband is a horticulturist gardens/parks/green space a must. We are theater goers so would like to see a play or two or three. We like small as much as large - off Broadway sounds as exciting as Broadway. Shopping is not a priority. We love architecture and window wishing. Our budget will dictate what area we stay in - ideally around $200 a night for a room but we're flexible. We don't need a ton of amenities - clean & friendly staff most important. We would love to have coffee machine & small fridge in room. We spend a lot of time in Europe so a European style hotel is comfortable for us (which means no coffee or fridge in room!), not opposed to shared baths. We are totally open to any and all suggestions. Side note, we've been taking Salsa lessons for 6 months would be fun to go dancing but where? Does sit matter (other than cost) which airport we fly into LaGuardia or JFK? We don't mind taking the tube or bus to our destination. We will be taking a red-eye arriving in the morning. Thank you in advance for your help.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Celebrating our 25th Anniversary in NYC

What are your exact dates?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,820 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Celebrating our 25th Anniversary in NYC

Hotel rates fluctuate dramatically in NYC which is why lassie is asking about your dates. There are deals thru March that might get you a nice place for ~$200/night but starting in April, prices start to climb. There's no one best location. If you're not adverse to something basic and non traditional, you might like one of the suites at

chelsealodge.com

travelzoo.com

]has some specials that might work for you. I use

kayak.com

quikbook.com

to shop hotels. I'd suggest you have a look and see what you can find within your budget and post back with a short list.

LGA is a smaller airport and closer to Manhattan but JFK has good train connections so it doesn't really matter. Pick the best flights/prices.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
66 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Celebrating our 25th Anniversary in NYC

Mid-April. Our anniversary is April 22nd a few days either side of that date, we are flexible.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
66 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Celebrating our 25th Anniversary in NYC

I did look at a place called the Chelsea Inn also in the Chelsea District.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
66 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Celebrating our 25th Anniversary in NYC

I love the hardwood floors at the Chelsea Lodge - looks good. Thank you. I'll put it on our short list.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,073 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Celebrating our 25th Anniversary in NYC

We stayed at one of the Chelsea Lodge suites and it's a good choice. The brownstone apartments are roomy and functional, but very basic furnishings.

Don't get too excited about the hardwood floors. They are worn parquet flooring. Clean and functional, but nothing terribly attractive. I recall reading one reviewer even complaining about them. Yes, they are cracked in places. That didn't bother us because we had very basic expectations. Everything was very clean.

Feel free to PM me if you want more first-hand info.

When I read your description, I immediately thought "Upper West Side" (museums, Central Park, neighborhood feel). That might be another area for you to investigate, and there are some affordable hotels with fridge and coffee makers or kitchenette. Look at The Newton.

I'm not discouraging Chelsea though. I think you'll love the Highline and proximity to Greenwich Village, and even Chelsea itself. The Chelsea Lodge suites will be over budget though.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
66 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Celebrating our 25th Anniversary in NYC

I checked the Newton, great location. I'm thinking we should up our lodging limit to $250 a night. I can see that rates go up in mid-April. I will look at other hotels in that area as well. It appears it is getting a bit busier in New York as a couple of places I looked at are booked around those dates. I need to get on this asap!

Thanks you for you suggestions.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,820 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Celebrating our 25th Anniversary in NYC

Milburnhotel.com

On upper west side might appeal to you.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,820 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Celebrating our 25th Anniversary in NYC

You don't say how many days you'll stay but even $250/night is going to be tough at that time of year if it's meant to nclude taxes which add ~15%. Wyndham Midtown 45 has been showing good rates on kayak.com

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
66 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Celebrating our 25th Anniversary in NYC

We are planning on 6-7 nights. Taking a red-eye arriving in the morning & hoping to leave after check out time a week later. Thanks.