We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Meadowlands to LGA

K D
Green Bay, Wisconsin
4 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Meadowlands to LGA

I am going to be leaving the Meadowlands area around 3:30 PM on a Thursday and driving back to Laguardia. I will have a rental car because I am there on business. What would be the best/fastest way to do this with the least amount of traffic. I fully understand that I will most likely hit traffic anywhere. Also, how long do you think this commute would take?

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
5,520 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Meadowlands to LGA

It might be best to avoid central Manhattan traffic by using the New Jersey Turnpike, George Washington Bridge, Cross Bronx Expressway, Whitestone Bridge, Whitestone Expressway and connector road to the Grand Central Parkway by LGA. The travel time from the GW tolls to nearby Flushing can be as little as 12 minutes without traffic, but that would not be realistic on a weekday. A lot depends of accidents, construction, and of course, congestion.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,535 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Meadowlands to LGA

What time is your plane? This is an awful, stressful trip and you'll extra time to return the car.

New York
Level Contributor
921 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Meadowlands to LGA

Since I was stuck doing this commute for years, here is how I would go.

George Washington bridge to the Harlem River Drive. Upper level right hand side exit, lower level left hand side exit.

Look for Yankee Stadium across the Harlem River to the left.

Harlem River Drive to the RFK Triboro Bridge - stay to the right after the tolls - unless there is something funky happening, there wont be much traffic on the Harlem River Drive until right before the bridge exit on the right - it can sneak up fast on you so stay to the right.

Over the Triboro Bridge - view NYC to the right - stay to the left until see the exit for the Marine Air Terminal at LGA. Then you will hit a bunch of traffic usually but you are the next exit for most car rental returns on the right

This is the most direct, least traveled route, if there is such a thing in NY

STAY AWAY FROM THE CROSS BRONX - construction nightmare traffic lately.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,352 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Meadowlands to LGA

Good luck! I would dump the car in Jersey City, NJ, take the PATH train to 33rd and 6th Avenue, then the F Train to Roosevelt Avenue/Jackson Hts Station, and the Q70 bus (runs non-stop) to the Airport terminals. It would be faster.

Or dump the car in Downtown Newark at "Newark Penn Station", or Secaucus Junction, and take a NJ Transit commuter to "New York Penn Station" and take the E train to same place I listed above.

'Cause when you say you are leaving the Meadowlands at 3:30, don't expect to be at the airport before 5:15 possibly (then again you might make it by 4:15).

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,069 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Meadowlands to LGA

I agree with Scott1363's route, although it's always a good idea to check the Google traffic maps on a smartphone before you set off.

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
380 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Meadowlands to LGA

i agree with scott up there as well. the cross bronx is a wonderful highway at three in the morning sometimes. note on the harlem river drive that the triboro exit comes up with very little notice or signage on the right side. by 138th, 5th avenue exit you should be over to the right side. there are no tolls on the harlem river drive. at the triboro toll gates, stay to the right. once you get to queens no more than two or three miles exit right.

in a nutshell, once you are on the harlem river drive, everything is off on the right side. you should not be in the left lane.

USA
Level Contributor
11,426 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Meadowlands to LGA

Can you change your flight to leave from Newark? That would make your trip a lot easier. If not, the suggestion of dropping the car off in NJ and then taking the train makes good sense. At that hour it will not be easy, a few hours earlier would make a world of difference.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
4,765 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Meadowlands to LGA

Scott1363 gives you the most direct, best chance of least traffic route available!....Another potential time saver for you...... take the NJ Turnpike (north) to Route 46 East which ends at the GWB...Try and take the lower level as this tends to be a little faster as it is cars only,( no trucks since 9/11)

USA
Level Contributor
11,426 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Meadowlands to LGA

The GWB at that hour can be smooth, but a lot of times it can be a nightmare. It's really a coin toss. I would try to leave an hour or two earlier, if you can, this way it'll be a little smoother.

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
380 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Meadowlands to LGA

the best part of taking US 46 east to the bridge is that if you have to fill the tank before returning the car there are several cheap gas stations at the top of the hill just before the bridge. do not wait for the last of the stations however.