We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mets game at citi field

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
206 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Mets game at citi field

I am over for easter with my 15 year old daughter. We have the option of a Mets game on 19 April at 7.10pm or easter sunday at 1.10pm.

Which would you prefer and why? We would be travelling from Hotel Metro, would need to work out route etc.

We fly home on the sunday from Newark at around 9pm, so would need storage for our luggage that day.

Can you offer any advice on the days?

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
717 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mets game at citi field

Daytime game is better in April as evenings would be cold. I'm might be chilly even for a day game, it would be a nice atmosphere if you get some sun shines. Although it is safe but for out-of-town people, it might not feel so after the evening game especially.

For your transport, you should use Penn Station where you can take a train to Citi Field in Queens. This is also the station where you can catch a train to Newark as described in the below website. So you can come back to Penn after the game and transfer to the airport. Penn Station should not be so far from your hotel.

www.njtransit.com/rg/rg_servlet.srv…

Regarding the storage, There is storage service for Amtrack and New Jersey Transit with some fee. I've never used it before but heard that it is difficult to find. Probably you can check the location in advance rather than waiting till the last minute.

Enjoy!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,955 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mets game at citi field

Frankly, I don't love either option. It can still be quite cool at night in April so in theory I'd prefer the day game when it's likely to be more pleasant temperature. But I don't think I'd want to be sitting at a baseball game on the last day of the visit. There always seem to be things you missed that you might like to do on that last day.

As far as how to get there, you have 2 options, the subway or the Long Island Railroad, a commuter train that leaves from Penn station. Since your hotel is so close to Penn station and that train will get you there faster, that's what I'd use. It will be a bit more expensive and won't be included on an unlimited Metrocard. Or just take the subway.

mta.info/mta/…man

For subway directions

using

maps.google.com

is one answer. You type the trip at the top (Metro hotel nyc to Citifield), click the train icon at the top left and voila

http://goo.gl/maps/Vlsuk

The #7 train is the one that goes to Citifield. You can walk to Bryant Park and get the 7 train there heading to Queens.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mets game at citi field

If I had to pick 1, I would go to the night game. I would not want to be at the game the same day that you are leaving.

Dress WARM and enjoy. It's a great stadium....

New York, NY
Level Contributor
298 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mets game at citi field

I agree with ter1413. Night game. Travel to and from the stadium on the same day that you are leaving - you might run into problems with delays, etc. Citifield is wonderful. It might be cold but dress appropriatly and depending on seats you might get to sit inside for a while (Ceasars club). The food at the stadium is awesome - from the hot dogs and the popcorn to the clam chowder and Shake Shack. Also they have full bars for cocktails and a wide variety of beers at most levels. Go early and catch batting practice, walk around and enjoy. Go METS!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mets game at citi field

**Go early and catch batting practice, walk around and enjoy. Go METS!**

I 2nd all of that ^^.

For a 7:10 game, I would get there at appr 5:45-ish.

You can then take pics outside, check out the Mets hall of fame, the Mets clubhouse store, take pics inside, walk around inside to get different views of the field and grab something to eat and drink. Then you can be in your seat by 6:55-7-ish.

As stated...dress warm and you will be fine. Worst case....buy a NY Mets sweatshirt inside for additional layering if needed!

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
6,138 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mets game at citi field

The travel time from Penn Station to Citifield by Long Island Railroad, Port Washington Branch, is about 20 mins. The #7 subway train, Flushing Line, takes about 35 mins. from Times Square to Citifield. The subway is far more frequent than the train. The LIRR train tends to stop at Citifield (Flushing Meadows Park) only during games.

I have read that the Amtrak luggage storage at Penn Station requires a same day Amtrak ticket to be shown. I am not certain how you intend to go the Newark Airport. There are three separate operations at Penn Station: Amtrak, Long Island RR, and New Jersey Transit. They do not always cross honor things. Perhaps the hotel might be a more reliable place to store things.

Edited: 16 February 2014, 22:38
New York
Level Contributor
921 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mets game at citi field

When buying tickets please check out www.stubhub.com. they sometimes have great prices for tickets.

Plus look for tickets with Caesar's Club access. This will give you a great area to escape to it too hot or cold and watch the game on tv's, good food options, and nice clean bathrooms. These are the seat areas we always pick when going to Citifield.

Cincinnati, OH
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Mets game at citi field

Night game will give you the best experience. More people. You also won't be drained from the sun like you would at a day game. Easter Sunday will have much fewer people (church). Sunday will have better bargains for tickets.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,973 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mets game at citi field

NIght games are definitely better atmosphere. And despite the comment from a London resident on not feeling safe on the train at night--he is wrong. The train is safe for all, at all hours. ESPECIALLY after a game, the train will be so crowded that your biggest problem will be being squished.

New York City
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mets game at citi field

I prefer day games myself. Besides generally more plesant to watch a day game its more of a family type athmosphere as more families go to the day games.