We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Statue of liberty, Ellis Ilsand and 9/11 museum

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
317 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Statue of liberty, Ellis Ilsand and 9/11 museum

Hello all,

I am coming to NY with my 11 yr son in June. We are arriving on June 10th at 5:10pm and will cover Empire state building and Times square.

June 11th we are planning to see Statue of liberty, Ellis Ilsand and 9/11 museum. Evening we will leave for Philadelphia by bus. We will try to leave around 5pm.

My question is, what order should we do all three places as we have to buy time tickets in advance. I was thinking 10am 9/11 museum and than SOL & EI. Than I thought, since SOL opens early, may be we can first go to SOL & EI and than 9/11 museum. Anyway, I got confused. Would appreciate if you can let me know what time should I take all these tickets.

Would really appreciate your help,

AJ

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Statue of liberty, Ellis Ilsand and 9/11 museum

SOL & Ellis Island and then the 9/11 Memorial is the way that I would go.

Try to get the earliest time for the SOL available.

Edited: 15 February 2014, 17:11
New York, NY
Level Contributor
293 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Statue of liberty, Ellis Ilsand and 9/11 museum

I would do SOL first. The ferry stops at the SOL and then Ellis Island. If you are not keen on going to the crown (you need tickets for this) I would take photos from the ferry of the statue and skip getting off here (if not going to the crown there is not much else to do) Get off at Ellis Island (second stop) and spend most of your time here - great museum and lots to look at. After this have lunch and head to 9/11 memorial. Yes, the museum is supposed to open in May but there is not hard date for the opening yet. The memorial is open and you will need a timed ticket (get on line at 911memorial.org) in advance. If museum is open you will have to get a ticket in advance for this as well - at the same web site. You should be able to do this in one day. FYI, the museum will take 3 hours to go through if you wish to see it all. It is a lot of stuff and some of it very heavy so it will be an exhausting - but well worthwhile - day! Enjoy

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
317 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Statue of liberty, Ellis Ilsand and 9/11 museum

Thx all! My son and I really want to get close up to the Liberty Statue (we are not interested going up to the crowns), so we will get off the ferry. Than go to Ellis Island and than 9/11 memorial and museum. How much time would we need at SOL & EI? Including waiting in a line, etc. So I can calculate what time ticket should I take for 9/11 memorial and museum. That will also help me if I should take Amtrak to Philly or bus. Thx!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
317 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Statue of liberty, Ellis Ilsand and 9/11 museum

Is this is the right website (Statuecruises.com) to get tix for SOL & EI?

Manhattan
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Statue of liberty, Ellis Ilsand and 9/11 museum

You ask how much time for SOL & Ellis, without going up to the crown. I just took a small group to both this week. It took about 2:45 round trip.

Go to SOL for photos. It is about a five minute walk from the ferry, out to the front of the statue forfor photos. There is also a gift shop and cafe.

Ellis is where you will likely spend more time, as the main building is a museum. The building also houses Ellis' cafe and gift shop which, in my opinion, is stocked better than the one at SOL. And you can get good photos of Miss Liberty from Ellis.

I think the first boat goes out at 8:30.

Taunton...
Level Contributor
828 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Statue of liberty, Ellis Ilsand and 9/11 museum

Are you planning on going up to the crown at SOL? As we are plannign to go in April possibly and wondering if the extra effort to go up to the crown is worth it?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
317 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Statue of liberty, Ellis Ilsand and 9/11 museum

Thank you tourguidestan!. On there website, 8am tix are available. But what about the moring rush? We are staying in Times Square. How much time should we give to get to SOL from TS from subway?

Manhattan
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Statue of liberty, Ellis Ilsand and 9/11 museum

Jeffpags,

Having done many trips to SOL with and without the crown, what really matters is what you want out of the experience.

Going to the crown means going into the lobby and seeing the original torch, then heading upstairs to the museum. There you'll learn of the late 19th century zeitgeist in France and the USA. Building techniques of the day. Engineering the construction and renovation of 1986.

Then you go up more steps to a floor where you decide to ascend by yet more steps or - most of the way - by elevator, up to the crown itself.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Statue of liberty, Ellis Ilsand and 9/11 museum

Anita J,

Expect a train ride to take about 30 minutes from Times Square down to the Battery. Once there, look around for a big, old round-walled fort of Brown stone. Get tix there. If you already have tix, head for the water. You'll see where to line up.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
317 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Statue of liberty, Ellis Ilsand and 9/11 museum

Thank you so much.