We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Legal holiday rentals???

London, United...
Level Contributor
126 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Legal holiday rentals???

I want to book an apartment for our visit in December but am well aware of the legalities of it. However I came across this comment on another search and am wondering if any of you guys can verify it to be true? : "These are friends of mine who own a brownstone in Harlem and rent out 2 renovated apartments--a 1 bedroom and a 3-bedroom-- with a minimum of 4 nights. They live in the building.

Most of their guests are European but I thought I'd mention it here:"

flipkey.com/manhattan-vacation-rentals/…

flipkey.com/new-york-city-condo-rentals/…

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Legal holiday rentals???

Many of them are outright scams and I think you have little recourse to get your money back - you engaged in an illegal activity by going forward with this transaction.

Sadly, as long as he wants to continue to advertise, he'll be able to and as long as people keep sending him money, he'll keep doing this. He may not even be in NYC or even in the U.S. - he could be anywhere in the world.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,982 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Legal holiday rentals???

Also, if the transaction occurred through TA/Flip Key, then contact them. Atleast, Airbnb insures all transactions.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,982 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Legal holiday rentals???

Do you have a link to his FlipKey profile ?

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,942 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Legal holiday rentals???

"Then why can they advertise through trip advisor.."

The same way as you could advertise anything you did not have in the Melbourne Sun or SMH - you just pay the advertising fee. In this case it appears to be FlipKey.

Edited: 05 April 2014, 04:10
australia
Level Contributor
136 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Legal holiday rentals???

Trip advisor are a trusted website and they need to clean up their act! Is a disgrace that people trust them to advertise something that is not legal !

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,170 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Legal holiday rentals???

<<Is a disgrace that people trust them to advertise something that is not legal !>>

Yes, It is a disgrace. Trip Advisor doesn't care. They have stated that they do not take responsibility for what is advertised on their website. They get PAID to put those ads on their website. They have clearly stated that it is up to the renter to make sure that what they are renting is legal. They don't check to see if they are legal or if they even exist. Sad but true.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,942 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Legal holiday rentals???

"They don't check to see if they are legal or if they even exist. Sad but true."

I suggest that it would almost be impossible to do so,

australia
Level Contributor
136 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Legal holiday rentals???

Great thank you .

Why can't I complain to trip advisor !

Surely trip advisor should be able to respond !

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,982 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Legal holiday rentals???

You should reach out to TA.... they should be held responsible.... at-least on AIRBNB.....AIRBNB hold on to your money and should any thing happens...your money is returned.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/question/51

australia
Level Contributor
136 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Legal holiday rentals???

Ok trip advisor step up and tell me who to contact.

You have a person Daniel Monahan who rented us a New York apartment and then cancelled 6 days before I left Australia. He has $2000 of my money which he has not paid back!,, he has a number of apartments on your site. I suggest you get rid of him