We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Decent priced hotels around Manhattan

Delta, Colorado
2 posts
Save Topic
Decent priced hotels around Manhattan

I'm going to be travelling with my mother and sister in early April for college orientation for my school in Lower Manhattan. We have spent numerous hours searching for cheap(ish) hotels and have only found hostels and "hotels" with shared bathrooms.

We are not looking to spend anymore than about $170/night (including taxes) and, if in an outer borough, would need to be near a subway station.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,910 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Decent priced hotels around Manhattan

Try Long Island City, Queens. Two often recommended hotels are the Country Inn & Suites and the Verve. There are others whose names always seem to escape me.

Part of the problem may be that your budget is quite low for a room with (I assume you need) two beds.

Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Decent priced hotels around Manhattan

You could try the Sheraton Brooklyn. It is in Brooklyn, but near a subway, so would be convenient to lowe Manhattan. On www.lmtclub.com I am seeing rates of $155 for 2 double beds (for April 4 to 9). Don't know what your exact dates are.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,676 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Decent priced hotels around Manhattan

What are your exact dates? Hotel prices fluctuate from one day to the next.

Which airport are you using? This can affect recommendations for hotels outside of Manhattan.

Also think through whether your family is cozy enough for two of you to be sharing a double bed (smaller than a queen).

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,974 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Decent priced hotels around Manhattan

If your orientation is in lower Manhattan, it's likely that staying in Brooklyn will be more convenient than staying in Long Island City but $170/night for a room for 3 is not going to be easy. The Comfort Inn Chelsea and the Gershwin are 2 hotels in Manhattan that have rooms with 3 single beds. The Cosmopolitan hotel is also worth considering. You can also look on Hotwire and see if there are any hotels within your budget in Manhattan. Try to stick with those that have at least an 80% thumbs up rating since you don't know what you're getting until after you book.

Delta, Colorado
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Decent priced hotels around Manhattan

Our dates are 4/5-4/7 and we're driving. And we were planning on sharing double beds.

Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Decent priced hotels around Manhattan

For those dates the rates I am seeing for Sheraton Brooklyn on lmtclub.com are $145 per night (for 2 double beds room).

BTW, the promo code to join lmtclub for free is TURKEYSENTME

I used that website last year for a hotel in Quebec... did not have any problems.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,676 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Decent priced hotels around Manhattan

#6 seems like a great option. I know of numerous very good experiences with the sister site of lmtclub.com ( LastMinuteTravel.com ) from the Boston forum. It's heavily used and recommended there. Same operators, it's just you see hotel identities at club, whereas they are hidden (but often easily identifiable) on the non-club site.

8. Re: Decent priced hotels around Manhattan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2015, 05:24