We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using a Three sim

Colchester, UK
Level Contributor
232 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Using a Three sim

Just a quick update on using the Three sim to reinforce what has been reported.

I activated the sim in the UK and put it in my phone - a Nexus 4 - before boarding the flight.

On arrival I tried the T-Mobile and AT&T networks and found AT&T better. I have used data, called home and called the UK Mobile of one of my traveling companions with no issues at all.

My son and I have also tethered a tablet and an iPhone with no problem.

I'm impressed and it is a real bargain compared with the alternatives.

London, United...
Level Contributor
451 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using a Three sim

Thanks for the update as I'm really interested in this as it seemed almost too good to be true. Was this the pay-as-you-go SIM? I understand that it is ready for roaming straightaway unlike the pay monthly but do you need to do anything to activate it or is already activated?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,153 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using a Three sim

PAYG is active straight away for roaming if you ask.

According to the terms, Tethering is not allowed when roaming. Yes you can do it, but you could get cut off pretty quickly if you abuse the system. Also, the offer could be withdrawn if people abuse it. Get a second SIM which is designed for a tablet for 1 gig of data. You can pick these up off amazon for less than than £10.

M

Colchester, UK
Level Contributor
232 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using a Three sim

Its a fair point but I'm using it to do some limited tethering on the advice of a member of staff at a Three shop, who said that hooking up a mobile device for some browsing was not going to get me disconnected.

They are trying to dissuade people from using their phone to download tons of data or for streaming.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,381 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using a Three sim

loftusrd: Hi thanks for sharing your experience - quick question for you though, how long before your trip to USA did you buy your SIM? I'd read somewhere that you have to have it for more than 28 days before.

Colchester, UK
Level Contributor
232 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using a Three sim

With a PAYG sim it just needs to be activated in the UK prior to use abroad. I have a 30 day plan on mine so did it a week or so ahead.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,381 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Using a Three sim

Excellent, thanks loftusrd! I'll go get one today!

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
183 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Using a Three sim

That's great, thanks this is what I'm going to do I think. Shame it doesn't work in Canada as I'm going there this year to.

8. Re: Using a Three sim

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2015, 06:19