We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the Bronx Zoo really worth it?

Tampico, Mexico
Level Contributor
153 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Is the Bronx Zoo really worth it?

I'll be four and a half days and i'm planning the itinerary.

I love animals and zoos but having just a few days makes me wonder if the Bronx Zoo is worth it to see? I've read that the Central Park Zoo is not that great and i don't wanna waste 3-4 hours.

I'm going the last week of June, should i go?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the Bronx Zoo really worth it?

Yes its world class

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
5,382 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the Bronx Zoo really worth it?

The Bronx Zoo is the world's largest urban zoo. It attracts hordes of children. Be aware that Wednesday is the "free" day (voluntary donation) and the place is totally packed. Avoid this day at all cost. The trip from Manhattan will take about an hour on the subway. The #2 and #5 subway trains go to West Farms Square/East Tremont which is near the southern entrance to the zoo. There is also an express bus from Manhattan that is a bit faster;

bronxzoo.com/plan-your-trip/directions.aspx

If you are very keen to see a zoo, this is a good one. However, for the average visitor with limited time, there are perhaps better things to see in NYC. If you do go, arrive at opening time. There are fewer people and the animals have just been fed and near places where you can see them.

NY
Level Contributor
743 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the Bronx Zoo really worth it?

While I love the Bronx zoo it really takes a whole day to enjoy and if you only have a few days I wouldn't spend one whole day there.

I also love the Central Park zoo (their penguins are my favorite) and it fits nicely in a short trip... You can easily make a hour or two detour on the day you decide to explore the park.

Tampico, Mexico
Level Contributor
153 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the Bronx Zoo really worth it?

Thanks for the replies, if i still have time i'd go the last day in the city which is a Sunday, if not, i'll go to the Central Park Zoo because of the penguins which are my favorites.

USA
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the Bronx Zoo really worth it?

Given your time, I think the Central Park Zoo would be a better fit. June is a beautiful month and you could spend the better part of the day in Central Park. There is always something going on and they have free tours, check out their calendar. Also check out the Observatory Gardens, it's really nice.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
729 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the Bronx Zoo really worth it?

The Bronx Zoo is the second largest Zoo in the US and definitely world class. If you are into this kind of thing it's a must. It is one of the unique things about NYC.

Diane

NYC Photo Safari

7. Re: Is the Bronx Zoo really worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2014, 17:40
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,846 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the Bronx Zoo really worth it?

Yes..it is a lot of fun ..!!!!

Tampico, Mexico
Level Contributor
153 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is the Bronx Zoo really worth it?

Mon Dieu!

Maybe i'm really excited about it, i'm gonna check the animals that they have and compare to the ones on Central Park.

Thank you everyone!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is the Bronx Zoo really worth it?

I don't know where you read that the Central Park Zoo is "not that great" but it is, and it's more like a 1-2 hour thing, not 3-4 hours. The Bronx Zoo is world-class, but as others have said it will take most of a day.