We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

buying airline tickets now... layover question....

arkansas
Level Contributor
226 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
buying airline tickets now... layover question....

Our first flight, ever... Is 45 minutes long enough in Atlanta for a layover? Just me & my husband, we will have atleast 1 luggage, if not two.. I'm checking & double checking seats, but this is the shortest & the most probable choice thus far..

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,416 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: buying airline tickets now... layover question....

Can you clarify what you mean by 'layover'. Do you mean connection?

I am not sure the NYC Forum is the right place for the question. Try the Air Travel Forum:

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_T…

Or speak to someone from the airline company about the connection.

Edited: 18 February 2014, 07:29
arkansas
Level Contributor
226 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: buying airline tickets now... layover question....

Yes, I meant connection. :)

Thanks for the link.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,485 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: buying airline tickets now... layover question....

Are there no nonstop flights? Are you buying this flight directly from the airline? Is it the same airline?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,485 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: buying airline tickets now... layover question....

PS the folks on the Atlanta forum will be better able to help too. Atlanta is a very busy airport and that doesn't sound long enough to me unless it's teh same airline and gates are near each other.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
898 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: buying airline tickets now... layover question....

Atlanta is not just a very busy airport - it is the world's busiest airport when measured by passenger numbers (of which you will be two of the over 90,000,000 this year...)

Without knowing anything more about Atlanta Hatfield that that, it does look particularly tight and doesn't allow for any delays with your inbound aircraft, not to mention a pretty tight window for baggage handlers to get your bags off the Arkansas plane and on to the NY plane..

Transiting is one of those things you either decide to cut it fine, have a bit of excitement, and hope all goes well and you end up at your destination in the shortest time with your luggage, OR you take a bit longer and have peace of mind. I always go the peace of mind route FWIW.

arkansas
Level Contributor
226 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: buying airline tickets now... layover question....

There was a nonstop, which we wanted, but it was several hundred more & we decided to put that to use somewhere else.

It is the same airline, Delta. Tomorrow when I further investigate, hopefully it'll be easy enough to figure out which gates..

We decided to be safe than sorry & ended up getting a one stop flight in Atlanta with an hour & 1/2 layover both ways.

If anyone has any advice I'd be more than welcome to it! :) I may have to hop over to the Atlanta forum & see what I can find out about their airport.

But it is officially OFFICIAL We are coming to New York City March 5th - 9th!! :D

Edited: 18 February 2014, 10:51
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,416 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: buying airline tickets now... layover question....

Yay....

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,001 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: buying airline tickets now... layover question....

FWIW, I think you made the right decision. I try to give myself an hour minimum for connections. If your flight is on time, you might not need it all, but I'd rather have a little extra time (especially if I were not familiar with flying and had never been to the airport in question before) than miss my flight and have to deal with rebooking.

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: buying airline tickets now... layover question....

Having run through an airport when first flight was late, you made the correct choice!

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,538 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: buying airline tickets now... layover question....

I always try to avoid connection times of under 1 hour. Delays are too common.

I see from prior threads that you are traveling in early March. I'd strongly encourage you to spend the extra money on a non-stop. Having a connection means you increase your chances that bad weather will affect one of your flights.