We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking tours

Preston, Lancs
Level Contributor
167 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Walking tours

Hi All :)

I have been googling and there are a lot of walking tours on offer so I was wondering if anyone could recommend any in particular or any experiences of particular services. I have seen a few mentioned in various posts but now can't remember any of the names!

I thought it would be a good way to learn a bit more about the history of an area - not sure which area yet! - and to maybe see some things we otherwise wouldn't have known about.

TIA

Steph

Preston, Lancs
Level Contributor
167 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking tours

Having looked at www.bigonion.com I quite fancy the Chelsea & the High Line tour, the Immigrant New York tour and the Original Multi-Ethnic Eating tour.

Waco, Texas
Level Contributor
213 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking tours

If you look at Activities under the Things to Do section tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g60763-Activitie… there are lots of reviews of walking tours.

Preston, Lancs
Level Contributor
167 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking tours

Ok fab thanks :)

München
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking tours

I have read great reviews of these tours:

www.freetoursbyfoot.com/new-york-tours/

They have a lot of different tours in NY and you can pay as much as you want to. I haven't used them yet but I plan to.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,180 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking tours

Free Tours by Foot was one I enjoyed. I did the LES food tour.

Another one was the Hells' Kitchen Food Crawl run by forum local Ziggy.

On both tours you walk, eat and learn about the neighbourhood as well. They are both free, just pay for any food you buy, and a tip to the guide at the end is appreciated. ;-)

Preston, Lancs
Level Contributor
167 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking tours

Sounds good, I will into those thanks :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,307 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking tours

JoAnn that's a great link. Thanks.

It reminds me that there a few messages recently raving about CityRover Walks NY - Max in particular.

And another option that isn't on that list is A Guide Named Sue who will customise a walk for you depending on your interests.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,245 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking tours

The free Friday tour of the Grand Central Terminal and neighborhood is great. You can find it online - I learned and retained a lot from that tour. Our guide, Peter Laskowicz (or something like that) was wonderful - he can be hired for private tours too.

suitcaseready.com

USA
Level Contributor
12,442 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking tours

The President of Big Onion is occasionally on the tv show "Toni-On". I'm always impressed by his knowledge of history, etc. I've never gone on any of these walking tours, but they all do look interesting. I have done a few walking tours based on ones I've found on the internet.

Preston, Lancs
Level Contributor
167 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walking tours

Great, thank you for the help. I have had to revise our itinerary due to budget restrictions and thought this might be a good way to do so. It can get overwhelming when there is so much choice - word of mouth is always better.