We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest accommodation in Manhattan.

Dublin, Ireland
3 posts
Save Topic
Cheapest accommodation in Manhattan.

Myself and 3 friends are heading to NY on May 27th for the entire summer. We are looking for somewhere cheap, plain and simple to stay in for the first 5 nights, hostel etc. We dont want to blow a lot of our savings simply on where we stay while we search for more permanent accommodation. Are there travellodges or any places similar in manhattan?

Getting anxious at this stage as places seem to be booking up.

Any help much appreciated thanks!!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheapest accommodation in Manhattan.

hostelling international

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
3,848 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheapest accommodation in Manhattan.

Did I just read that right? You're planning on coming for the whole summer and have no current plan for where you're staying? And where does 5 nights fit into it, if you don't have a place for the rest of the time. I think you're in for some sticker shock looking for legitimate longterm accomodations, and I would never take the risk of coming over just hoping I'd find something.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,933 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheapest accommodation in Manhattan.

"Clean", "Cheap", "Really Close to Everything". You can't get all three, only two of the three. I'd vote for Clean and Cheap over "Really Close". Stay in Long Island City at places like Country Inn and Suites on Crescent St. ($120 per night) It is one block from a subway station, and you can be in Times Square in 10 minutes by two subway lines. And the subway goes everywhere you could possibly want to go; it's just that 1st 10 minutes required to start every trip. The neighborhood is a combination of (safe) Industrial and (very clean) hotels that Europeans (and my brother and I) stay in :^) Staying cheap in Manhattan is means either not too clean, or you are further away from the world than Long Island City.

A second inexpensive area is the hotels along 4th Avenue in Brooklyn (like the Sleep Inn on 22 or 23 St.) Or the La Quinta on 3rd Avenue and 12 St (all Brooklyn, not the same numbering system as the famous parts of New York). Often you can get rooms for $100 or less per night, and possibly get all four of you in one room (if you can stand having only 2 double beds).

Don't be surprised that taxes add 14%, (yes I said 14%) to your room rate.

Edited: 18 February 2014, 21:14
Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,933 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheapest accommodation in Manhattan.

I should have stated that there is a subway line on 4th Avenue in Brooklyn, with stops every half mile. You can change for the express to go over a bridge into Manhattan. It takes about 22 minutes to Times Square, 15 minutes to Wall Street. Find hotels near the Union St. to 36 St. stops on the D,N,R train (look at a subway map).

The Long Island City (in the borough of Queens) hotels are mostly near Queensboro Plaza (N,Q,7 trains) station, though some hotels are near others. Be certain you are closer than 2/3 mile from the subway, or that trip from your hotel will get old fast, as they say.

Did I mention that 14% tax added on? ;^)

Edited: 18 February 2014, 21:21
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheapest accommodation in Manhattan.

Look at the Seafarer's at Union Square

http://www.sihnyc.org/newyork-guesthouse.php

Utah
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheapest accommodation in Manhattan.

If you don't mind tight quarters (like a bed and that's all!, with washroom facilities down the hall) try the Jane Hotel. about $125 a night. Clean in great area.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,040 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheapest accommodation in Manhattan.

Can you all sleep 2 to a bed? When several people are traveling together, it can be less expensive to get a hotel room than pay for 4 beds at a hostel.

The Verve in Long Island City (a neighborhood in Queens) is available for $160 (free cancellation on Kayak.com). Nice hotel and a very short subway ride into Manhattan. Surprisingly, Country Inn and Suites is more expensive at $200. Staying at Hosteling International in the cheapest shared dorm (10-12 beds) would cost your group $220/night

Add ~15% hotel tax to all of the above prices.

I'm assuming you are coming to NYC for the international summer work program. Is that the case? Where is your work?

For long-term accommodations, look at Brandon Residence for Women: http://www.thebrandon.org/

8. Re: Cheapest accommodation in Manhattan.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2015, 05:17